Jun 12, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Undergraduate Admission

     Undergraduate Admission


 Undergraduate Admissions

Audrey Crawford, Director of Admissions
Reynolds Hall
(205) 665-6030

Applications for undergraduate admission are available online at montevallo.edu/apply.

Office of Admissions
Reynolds Hall
Station 6030
Montevallo, AL 35115
(205) 665-6030

Application Process

Freshman applications should be submitted after completion of the junior year in high school. Transfer students should apply as soon as an interest in Montevallo is developed. A $30 non-refundable fee must be submitted with the application. In addition, applicants must make arrangements for the appropriate credentials (test scores, transcripts, and other relevant information) to be forwarded to the Office of Admissions. Early admission ensures preferred housing assignments and consideration for merit scholarships. Applications are submitted on the University’s website.  A student may defer their initial admissions application up to one academic year from the original application entry term. Students who wish to defer their application more than one academic year will be required to submit a new admissions application. 

Montevallo welcomes applications from those whose experience, interests, and academic preparation indicate chances for success in the University curriculum. The Office of Admissions reviews all undergraduate applications using a rolling decision format, with students receiving notice of the decision soon after the file is complete.

Freshman Admission

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman should provide the following records:

  1. High school transcript

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman must provide an official secondary school transcript and an official ACT or SAT score report. The transcript must indicate a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade-point average and successful completion of a minimum of 16 academic or college-preparatory credits from 9th through 12th grades. The 16 academic units are as follows:


Units required


Four units


Two units from among the following: algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry, advanced mathematics, math analysis, calculus


Two units from among the following: physical science, biology, chemistry, geology, physics

Social studies

Four units from among the following: geography, history, psychology, sociology, government, economics


Four or more units from foreign languages or any subjects listed above, which exceed minimum requirements

Non-Graduates of High School. Admission may be granted to non-graduates of high school who are at least 18 years of age and have been out of high school for a minimum of one year. Applicants must score at least 500 on the General Educational Development (GED) Test and submit acceptable ACT or SAT scores as outlined in the test-score report section that follows.

  1. Test-score report

Freshman applicants who meet the 2.5 cumulative GPA requirement and have a minimum composite ACT score of 20 (1030 on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are typically offered admission. Applicants earning an ACT composite score of 18 or 19 (960 and higher on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are considered for regular admission on the basis of a scale of increasing grade point average. The writing portion of either the ACT or SAT is not required. For more information, contact one or both testing services:

For the ACT:

ACT East Region Office
(404) 231-1952
Montevallo’s test code: 001004

For the SAT:

College Board
Southern Regional Office
(866) 392-4088
Montevallo’s test code: 1004

Home-Schooled Students

The University of Montevallo welcomes home-schooled students and recognizes the unique academic experiences these students bring to Montevallo’s academic environment. The University has a growing community of home-schooled students who thrive in the UM environment.

Home schooled high school students are reviewed for admission and for academic scholarships following the same criteria utilized for students who attend public and private high schools. The official high-school transcript should contain the titles of courses in each subject area beginning with grade nine, course grades, overall GPA on a 4.0 scale, course grading scale, and the signature and contact information of the school administrator. The teaching credentials of the home-school teacher should be included if possible. The official transcript will be reviewed along with the student’s standardized test score (ACT or SAT).

Early Enrollment for Freshmen

Exceedingly able and mature students may apply for admission and enroll in University courses in lieu of completing their senior year of high school. Minimum requirements include:

  • completion of the junior year (11th grade) in high school with a GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
  • achievement of an ACT composite score or SAT score in at least the 90th percentile of the range for entering freshmen at the University;
  • recommendations from school officials and other persons designated by the director of admissions; and
  • a personal interview.

Students submitting an application under this provision should register for either the ACT or the SAT in the spring of the junior year and should contact the director of admissions before completion of the junior year.

Advanced Placement Program, CLEP, IB, and AICE Program Credit for Freshmen

The University grants credit and/or advanced standing based on the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), subjects completed under the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board, subjects completed through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, and subjects completed under the Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE). UM will award general core credit through AICE, IB, and AP examinations. Credit will be reviewed upon acceptance to the University and for purposes of admission into the UM Honors Program. Credit will be reviewed and determined by the Registrar’s Office and the appropriate department chair after the completion of the fall semester of the student’s senior year of high school. Official scores must be received directly from the College Board, International Baccalaureate, and/or Cambridge International Examinations in order for credit to be reviewed and awarded. Inquiries should be directed to the Office of Admissions. Minimum accepted scores required for credit are found on the Registrar’s webpage.

International Students

The University welcomes qualified freshmen or transfer students from other countries. It is recommended that international students begin the application process at least three (3) months prior to the posted application deadline. The following credentials are needed in order that the University may conduct a review for admission:

  • A completed application for admission with the required application fee;
  • For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) is required. Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at toefl.org. Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at ielts.org. Students may find more information regarding the PTE at pearsonpte.comThe score requirements are as follows:
    • TOEFL (Internet-based) - score of at least 71
    • IELTS - overall score of at least 6.0 with a minimum score of 5.0 on any individual section on the academic module
    • PTE - score of at least 48 
    • DUOLINGO - score of at least 95
  • A complete transcript of all secondary-school study, translated into English if necessary;
  • An affidavit of financial support, indicating that sufficient funds are available to the student to pay the cost of attendance; and
  • A completed original International Medical Form signed by a physician. Downloadable form with instructions can be found on this webpage: montevallo.edu/international-admissions/requirements/
  • Tuberculosis (TB) skin or blood test, in English, dated within 12 months of class start date;
  • Medical document, in English, showing two dates of MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella);
  • Health Insurance Policy, see this webpage for details: montevallo.edu/international-admissions/health-insurance/
  • Copy of student’s passport

Note: After admission to the University, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Although federal immigration laws do not permit part-time employment for international students except in special instances, prospective students who meet the requirements previously listed are encouraged to contact the University for information regarding financial aid options.

Transfer Students

Students who seek to transfer to the University after attending another accredited college or university must satisfy all requirements for transfer admission, as follows:

  • A minimum of a cumulative C average on all college-level study attempted must have been attained. This is a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better based on a 4.0 scale. Quality points from study previously attempted at Montevallo are not included in a transfer application review.
  • A transfer applicant must be a student in good standing. Neither probation nor suspension can be in effect at the previous or current college or university attended.
  • Transcripts of all previous study attempted must be submitted and evaluated before an application review can be conducted. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for transcripts to be mailed to the University. All academic records must be received at least seven working days prior to the intended date of enrollment.
  • Collegiate work from post-secondary institutions not accredited nor in candidacy status for accreditation by a regional accrediting association is not transferable to the University of Montevallo.
  • Students who have completed less than 24 semester hours (or 36 quarter hours) of college-level study must also submit a secondary-school transcript and either an ACT or SAT score report and must satisfy all requirements for freshman admission.
  • A maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) may be transferred for credit from either a community or junior college.

Two-Year Colleges in Alabama

The University maintains a parallel transfer agreement with two-year colleges in Alabama that hold regional liberal arts transfer accreditation. A student who earns an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree at a qualified institution will be admitted to Montevallo and credited with a maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) of study. This agreement does not guarantee admission to a particular degree program.

Students transferring from accredited Alabama two-year colleges may complete the University of Montevallo general education requirements by completing courses outlined in the Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee (AGSC) Transfer Guide. The University transfer website assists transfer students with course selection by listing the most-appropriate sequence of courses for each major. For further information regarding transfer guides, contact the Office of Admissions.

STARS transfer guides can be accessed at http://stars.troy.edu/stars.html.

Medical Report

Upon admission to the University, entering students must submit:

Two self-completed forms, including a Student Medical History Form and a Tuberculosis Risk Questionnaire. Downloadable forms with instructions can be found on this webpage: www.montevallo.edu/student-health-services/

Proof of measles immunity (example: copy of student’s shot record showing two doses of MMR).

Thereafter, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Special-Category Admission

College Ahead Program

College Ahead is a dual-enrollment partnership between the University of Montevallo and the Shelby County and Jefferson County School Systems. High school seniors and juniors may participate with the approval of their guidance counselor. Students are also encouraged to enroll in summer courses taught on the UM campus. Details of the College Ahead program may be found on the University’s website at montevallo.edu/collegeahead.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students who have previously completed a bachelor’s degree from the University of Montevallo or another regionally accredited institution may apply to pursue a second bachelor’s degree. The Registrar’s Office and academic department faculty evaluate previous academic work for appropriate course content, currency, and proficiency of subject matter.

Applicants seeking a second bachelor’s degree in Speech Language Pathology must have a 3.0 or higher overall undergraduate GPA in all coursework attempted at all institutions attended. With these credentials, these applicants need not apply to the junior class. For additional information, refer to the Department of Communication Science and Disorders section in this Bulletin (includes contact information).

Applicants seeking a second bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Nutrition Science, BS, with intent to pursue the Coordinated Dietetics Program should note the following:

  • Students may be required to take advanced dietetic courses at the University of Montevallo;
  • Students may be required to repeat any course applied toward degree requirements for which a grade lower than “C” was earned; and
  • Students may be required to repeat any prerequisite course (basic science and nutrition) in which a grade lower than “B” was earned.

For additional information regarding the admission and retention requirements of the Speech Language Pathology or Coordinated Dietetics Program, see the programs’ section in the Bulletin (includes contact information).

ContinuUM Program

ContinuUM is a premier University of Montevallo Transfer Pathway Program in partnership with Jefferson State Community College, Lawson State Community College, Shelton State Community College, Snead State Community College and Wallace State Community College (Hanceville).

Benefits of continuUM:

  • Guaranteed admission to UM after earning an associate’s degree or at least 45 transferable credit hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (higher GPA if additional scholarships are desired)
  • UM student ID providing access to McChesney Student Activity Center, UM athletic events and student life events
  • Access to student online services including digital library resources and UM portal
  • Pre-transfer advising based on your intended major at UM
  • Access to our Career Development Center and events
  • A $2,000 Montevallo scholarship, renewable for one year (four consecutive semesters) and stackable with the Transfer Minority and Transfer Academic Recognition scholarships. To be eligible a student must:
    • Enroll in continuUM for at least 2 semesters
    • Be enrolled in an AS or AA program
    • Have completed at least 45 transferable credit hours
    • Have a 2.0 cumulative GPA

Temporary Student

Temporary student admission is a non-degree category. Students who have graduated from high school two or more years prior to the intended date of enrollment may register for courses on either a credit or an audit (space available) basis.

Transient Student

A student in good standing at an accredited college or university may be admitted on a transient (visiting) basis. To be considered, an application must be submitted with a letter of good academic standing from the current or previous college or university. Transient admission may be approved for either a semester or a Summer Session.

Readmission to the University

Undergraduate students who have been absent one year or more must apply for readmission, and those who have not  attended for four or more years must meet the requirements of the University Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission. For more information, see the Bulletin Requirements and Enrollment Timeliness in the Academic Policies section of this Bulletin.

Academic Clemency

Academic Clemency is designed for former undergraduate students at UM whose GPAs during previous enrollments make it impossible or highly unlikely for them ever to graduate. A former student may apply for Academic Clemency to the Dean of the college in which he or she intends to pursue a major if he or she has not been enrolled at any academic institution for at least 36 months and has not previously been granted Academic Clemency at UM. For more information, please refer to the Academic Clemency Policy located in Undergraduate Academic Policies   or contact the Registrar’s Office.

Non-Academic Credit

The University of Montevallo does not award academic credit for non-academic pursuits such as continuing education courses, “life experience,” or any other course work taken on a non-credit basis.