Jul 20, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Admission

Office of Graduate Studies
Dr. Jennifer Alexiou-Ray, Director
(205) 665-6380

Application and Admission

The Graduate Council will be responsible for establishing general institutional requirements for admission, retention, and completion. Additional admission, retention, and completion criteria for individual graduate programs are established by program faculty. The Office of Graduate Studies coordinates graduate admission for all graduate programs based on criteria established by the Graduate Council and individual graduate programs.

The Office of Graduate Studies is the primary contact for graduate program applicants. For more information on individual program admission requirements, please see the departmental sections of this Bulletin. 

The University welcomes applications from all individuals whose experiences, interests, and academic preparation indicate potential for success in one of the graduate programs. access to the online application and related information are available on the University’s Admissions + Aid webpage. Applications for the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology are to be submitted through CSDCAS at https://csdcas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login.

When an individual applies to a graduate program, a significant part of the admissions decision involves an evaluation of whether the applicant can perform satisfactorily at the graduate level in their chosen discipline. Decisions on admission to specific graduate programs are made by the appropriate department and the dean of the college through an assessment of admission criteria listed in this Bulletin and the applicant’s academic and professional history.

Application Deadlines

There is a non-refundable fee required for the Graduate Application. Completed graduation applications for admission should be received by July 15 for Fall, November 15 for Spring, and April 15 for Summer. Please note: These dates reflect priority deadlines. Applicants may submit materials after the deadline with the understanding that submitting materials after the priority deadline does not guarantee consideration for admission for the following term. 

The Counseling and Speech-Language Pathology programs have different application deadlines. The Counseling program admits students twice yearly, with application deadlines on March 1st for Fall admission and October 1st for Spring admission. The Speech-Language Pathology program admits students once per year with an application deadline of January 1st for Fall admission.  

Transcript and Previous Degree Requirements

Students applying for a master’s degree program must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Students applying for an Ed.S. program must hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Collegiate work from unaccredited post-secondary institutions (or institutions that are not in candidacy status for accreditation) is not transferable to the University. Students who have earned an undergraduate degree from an institution not regionally accredited but who have subsequently earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution may appeal to the dean of the appropriate college for special consideration. One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended must be submitted to the University. Even though credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of another institution, it is still necessary to submit all transcripts. Such transcripts must include evidence of graduation with a degree posted.

Applicants who have yet to complete an undergraduate degree must submit an official transcript at the time of application and a final transcript with a degree posted before the beginning of their first semester of graduate coursework. Students may not take graduate coursework with the University without a final transcript with the University unless permission is granted as outlined in the Special Admissions section below.

Credit may not be given for graduate coursework taken by a student who has not been admitted officially to the graduate program at the University.

A maximum of 12 semester hours (15 quarter hours) of previously completed graduate work may be evaluated for program application at the request of the applicant during the application and admission process. Such credit must have been earned at a regionally accredited institution and within six years prior to the granting of the degree at the University of Montevallo. No course may be transferred with a grade lower than B or with a grade of pass/fail.

Graduate Standing

Students who have been enrolled in but have not completed similar graduate programs at other institutions must have left in good standing to be admitted to the University’s graduate programs. An exception may be made by the appropriate College Reinstatement Committee if there have been mitigating circumstances. The Reinstatement Committee for each college would include relevant committee members that would decide on admission. The Registrar and Director of Graduate Studies should also be consulted.

General Test Score Requirements

Some programs require a satisfactory, official score on a prescribed standardized examination. See each program listed in this Bulletin for specific requirements. The test must have been taken within 5 years of the date of application for graduate study or according to the guidelines of specific external accreditation or certification entity.

Special Admissions

Conditional Admissions

Some graduate programs may offer conditional admission to an applicant who may not meet the following stated criteria for unconditional admission:

  • a satisfactory test score on an admission examination(s),
  • the pre-requisite GPA, or
  • other specific departmental admission requirements.

Note that not all graduate programs offer conditional admission. 

Conditionally admitted graduate students must fulfill the conditions set by the program within the first none (9) credit hours (equal to one full-time semester) of course work. 

Graduate credit toward a degree at the University of Montevallo will not be awarded until the requirements for unconditional admission have been met. Students admitted conditionally will be notified of the specific criteria that must be met to updated their admission status to unconditional. All conditionally admitted students must meet the retention GPA for their program within nine credit hours, or they will not be allowed to continue.

Enrichment (Non-Degree) Admission

Those seeking to take courses for personal enrichment or to comply with certification or licensure requirements will submit an Enrichment Graduate Student application. Applicants will be required to submit an official transcript showing their most recently awarded degree and proof of course prerequisites, if needed.

If enrichment graduate students later apply for admission to a graduate program, credit for any non-degree courses taken will be evaluated for program application on an individual course basis. There is no guarantee that coursework taken as an enrichment student will be counted toward a University graduate degree program.

Enrichment graduate students may choose to enroll in courses for credit or as an audit. Once admitted, enrichment graduate students should contact their advisor for registration assistance. 

Students Who Have Not Completed a Degree

Students who are in the last semester of a pre-requisite (undergraduate or masters) degree program may be granted unconditional admission to a University graduate degree program provided they submit a transcript that shows sufficient progress toward the completion of the pre-requisite degree program. All other admission criteria must be met and the student should submit an official transcript with the degree posted prior to beginning classes.

Accelerated Master’s Option

Currently enrolled undergraduate students in their senior year who have met any necessary undergraduate programmatic requirements may take up to six (6) hours of graduate credit at the University with permission of the Registrar and the Reinstatement Committee in the college that houses the graduate program they wish to enter. Permission is granted to a student provided they have sufficient content background to indicate success at the graduate level. The student must apply and be accepted to the graduate program before taking graduate courses. Course credit cannot be counted toward the undergraduate degree at the University.

Second Master’s or Educational Specialist’s Degree

A second master’s or educational specialist’s degree may be earned with a minimum of 18 semester hours of additional credit beyond the first master’s degree. Students seeking a second master’s or educational specialist’s degree must meet the entrance requirements for the program they wish to enter unless the appropriate college Reinstatement Committee agrees that those requirements or their equivalent were met with a previous graduate degree. Admission requirements for the second degree will be approved by the College Reinstatement Committee, the Director of Graduate Studies, and the Registrar.

Readmission to the University

Students who have been admitted to or attended the University but have not enrolled in classes for two or more years must apply for readmission. Readmitted students may be required to meet the requirements of the University Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission. Students pursuing the Master of Science in Speech Pathology must apply for readmission after an absence of one semester or more. The College Reinstatement Committee will evaluate readmission in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies and the Registrar.

International Student Admission

The University welcomes qualified applicants from other countries. Information pertaining to international student admissions is available on the University’s website. It is recommended that international students begin the application process at least three (3) months prior to the posted application deadline.

In addition to meeting the general admission requirements, international students are required to submit the following original credentials:

  1. A completed application for admission with the required application fee;
  2. One (1) official college transcript from each foreign institution, evaluated by World Education Services, Lisano International, Josef Silney and Associates, Inc., or another NACES member. The academic department chair determines course equivalency.
  3. An affidavit of financial support indicating that sufficient funds are available to the student to pay the cost of attendance. There is no financial aid program for international students at the University, nor do immigration laws permit part-time employment except in special cases.
  4. For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) is required. Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at toefl.org. Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at ielts.org. Students may find more information regarding the PTE at pearsonpte.comThe score requirements are as follows:
    • TOEFL (Internet-based) - score of at least 71
    • IELTS - overall score of at least 6.0 with a minimum score of 5.0 on any individual section on the academic module
    • PTE - score of at least 48 
  5. A completed original International Medical Form signed by a physician. Downloadable form with instructions can be found on this web page: https://www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/international-admissions/requirements/
  6. Tuberculosis (TB) skin or blood test, in English, dated within 12 months of class start date.
  7. Medical document, in English, showing two dates of MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella).
  8. Health Insurance Policy, see this web page for details: https://www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/international-admissions/health-insurance/
  9. Copy of student’s passport

Note: After admission to the University, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodation may contact Disability Support Services.

Although federal immigration laws do not permit part-time employment for international students except in special instances, prospective students who meet the requirements previously listed are encouraged to contact the University for information regarding financial aid options.

Complete international student admission information is available on the University’s website.