Students pursuing Instructional Leadership may participate in programs leading to a master’s degree (M.Ed.) with initial certification (Class A), a specialist degree (Ed.S.) and advanced certification (Class AA), or a reduced hour option for certification (Class A). The Class A certificate in Instructional Leadership will include eligibility for grades preschool through 12.
Program Admission Requirements:
- A completed application and application fee available at www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/applying/
- One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended
- 3.00 graduating GPA in a Master’s degree program from a regionally accredited college or university
- Valid Class A education administration or institutional leadership certificate
- EXP form documenting three full years of full-time administration experience obtained from the applicant’s School Board office or a master’s degree from a state department approved instructional leadership program
For admissions considerations in the upcoming term, applications should be sent to the University by April 15 for summer admission, July 15 for fall admission, and November 15 for spring admission. Please note the following: These dates reflect priority deadlines. Applicants may submit materials after the deadline with the understanding that submitting materials after the priority deadline does not guarantee consideration for admission for the following term. UM undergraduates applying for these programs are not required to submit official transcripts. No credit toward the AA/Ed.S. will be awarded to students who have not been admitted officially to the program(s).
Applicants must hold a valid Alabama Class A certificate in Instructional Leadership. Applicants who obtained the Class A certificate prior to the redesigning of the instructional leadership program must have three (3) years administrative experience and must have a valid Alabama Class A Professional Educator Certificate in Instructional Leadership or one of the other Class A leadership certificate designations (Principal, Superintendent, Superintendent-Principal, Educational Administrator, Supervisor, or Administrator of Career and Technical Education).
Retention and Completion Requirements for AA/Ed.S.