Jul 23, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission and Financial Information


    Financial Information


Audrey Crawford, Director of Admissions
Reynolds Hall, Station 6030
(205) 665-6030

Applications for undergraduate admission are available online or in hard-copy format and may be accessed by visiting the Admissions web page or by contacting the Office of Admissions at the following:

(205) 665-6030




Office of Admissions
Reynolds Hall, Station 6030
University of Montevallo
Montevallo, AL 35115-6000

Application Process

Freshman applications should be submitted after completion of the junior year in high school. Transfer students should apply as soon as an interest in Montevallo is developed. A $30 non-refundable fee must be submitted with the application. In addition, applicants must make arrangements for the appropriate credentials (test scores, transcripts, and other relevant information) to be forwarded to the Office of Admissions. Early admission ensures preferred housing assignments and consideration for most University scholarships. Applications are submitted on the University’s website.

Montevallo welcomes applications from those whose experience, interests, and academic preparation indicate chances for success in the University curriculum. The Office of Admissions reviews all undergraduate applications using a rolling decision format, with students receiving notice of the decision soon after the file is complete.

Freshman Admission

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman should provide the following records:

  1. High school transcript

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman must provide an official secondary school transcript and an official ACT or SAT score report. The transcript must indicate a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade-point average and successful completion of a minimum of 16 academic or college-preparatory credits from 9th through 12th grades. The 16 academic units are as follows:


Units required


Four units


Two units from among the following: algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry, advanced mathematics, math analysis, calculus


Two units from among the following: physical science, biology, chemistry, geology, physics

social studies

Four units from among the following: geography, history, psychology, sociology, government, economics


Four or more units from foreign languages or any subjects listed above, which exceed minimum requirements

Non-Graduates of High School. Admission may be granted to non-graduates of high school who are at least 18 years of age and have been out of high school for a minimum of one year. Applicants must score at least 500 on the General Educational Development (GED) Test and submit acceptable ACT or SAT scores as outlined in the test-score report section that follows.

  1. Test-score report

Freshman applicants who meet the 2.5 cumulative GPA requirement and have a minimum composite ACT score of 20 (950 on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are typically offered admission. Applicants earning an ACT composite score of 18 or 19 (870 and higher on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are considered for regular admission on the basis of a scale of increasing grade point average. The writing portion of either the ACT or SAT is not required. For more information, contact one or both testing services:

For the ACT:

ACT East Region Office
(404) 231-1952
Montevallo’s test code: 001004

For the SAT:

College Board
Southern Regional Office
(866) 392-4088
Montevallo’s test code: 001004

Medical Report

Upon admission to the University, entering students must submit:

Thereafter, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Home-Schooled Students

The University of Montevallo welcomes home-schooled students and recognizes the unique academic experiences these students bring to Montevallo’s academic environment. The University has a growing community of home-schooled students who thrive in the UM environment.

Home schooled high-school students are reviewed for admission and for academic scholarships following the same criteria utilized for students who attend public and private high schools. The official high-school transcript should contain the titles of courses in each subject area beginning with grade nine, course grades, overall GPA on a 4.0 scale, course grading scale, and the signature and contact information of the school administrator. The teaching credentials of the home-school teacher should be included if possible. The official transcript will be reviewed along with the student’s standardized test score (ACT or SAT).

Early Enrollment for Freshmen

Exceedingly able and mature students may apply for admission and enroll in University courses in lieu of completing their senior year of high school. Minimum requirements include:

  • completion of the junior year (11th grade) in high school with a GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
  • achievement of an ACT composite score or SAT score in at least the 90th percentile of the range for entering freshmen at the University;
  • recommendations from school officials and other persons designated by the director of admissions; and
  • a personal interview.

Students submitting an application under this provision should register for either the ACT or the SAT in the spring of the junior year and should contact the director of admissions before completion of the junior year.

Advanced Placement Program, CLEP, IB, and AICE Program Credit for Freshmen

The University grants credit and/or advanced standing based on the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), subjects completed under the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board, subjects completed through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, and subjects completed under the Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE). UM will award general core credit through AICE, IB, and AP examinations. Credit will be reviewed upon acceptance to the University and for purposes of admission into the UM Honors Program. Credit will be reviewed and determined by the Registrar’s Office and the appropriate department chair after the completion of the fall semester of the student’s senior year of high school. Official scores must be received directly from the College Board, International Baccalaureate, and/or Cambridge International Examinations in order for credit to be reviewed and awarded. Inquiries should be directed to the Office of Admissions. Minimum accepted scores required for credit can be found on the Registrar’s webpage.

Non-Academic Credit

The University of Montevallo does not award academic credit for non-academic pursuits such as continuing education courses, “life experience,” or any other course work taken on a non-credit basis.


International Students

The University welcomes qualified freshmen or transfer students from other countries. It is recommended that international students begin the application process at least three (3) months prior to the posted application deadline. The following credentials are needed in order that the University may conduct a review for admission:

  • A completed application for admission with the required application fee;
  • For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English (PTE), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. The University requires a score of 525 or better on the written TOEFL, a score of more than 193 on the computer-based exam, a score of 48 is required for the Pearson Test of English (PTE) or a score of at least 71 on the Internet-based TOEFL. On the IELTS, the University requires minimum overall score of 6.0, with a minimum score of 5.0 on any individual section on the academic module. Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at www.toefl.org. Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at www.ielts.org. Students may find more information regarding the PTE at www.pearsonpte.com;
  • A complete transcript of all secondary-school study, translated into English if necessary;
  • An affidavit of financial support, indicating that sufficient funds are available to the student to pay the cost of attendance; 
  • A completed original International Medical Form signed by a physician. Downloadable form with instructions can be found on this webpage: https://www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/international-admissions/requirements/;
  • Tuberculosis (TB) skin or blood test, in English, dated within 12 months of class start date;
  • Medical document, in English, showing two dates of MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella);
  • Health Insurance Policy, see this webpage for details: https://www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/international-admissions/health-insurance/

Note: After admission to the University, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Although federal immigration laws do not permit part-time employment for international students except in special instances, prospective students who meet the requirements previously listed are encouraged to contact the University for information regarding financial aid options.


Transfer Students

Students who seek to transfer to the University after attending another accredited college or university must satisfy all requirements for transfer admission, as follows:

  • A minimum of a cumulative C average on all college-level study attempted must have been attained. This is a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better based on a 4.0 scale. Quality points from study previously attempted at Montevallo are not included in a transfer application review.
  • A transfer applicant must be a student in good standing. Neither probation nor suspension can be in effect at the previous or current college or university attended.
  • Transcripts of all previous study attempted must be submitted and evaluated before an application review can be conducted. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for transcripts to be mailed to the University. All academic records must be received at least seven working days prior to the intended date of enrollment.
  • Collegiate work from post-secondary institutions not accredited nor in candidacy status for accreditation by a regional accrediting association is not transferable to the University of Montevallo.
  • Students who have completed less than 24 semester hours (or 36 quarter hours) of college-level study must also submit a secondary-school transcript and either an ACT or SAT score report and must satisfy all requirements for freshman admission.
  • A maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) may be transferred for credit from either a community or junior college.

Medical Report

Upon admission to the University, entering students must submit:

Thereafter, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Two-Year Colleges in Alabama

The University maintains a parallel transfer agreement with two-year colleges in Alabama that hold regional liberal-arts transfer accreditation. A student who earns an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree at a qualified institution will be admitted to Montevallo and credited with a maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) of study. This agreement does not guarantee admission to a particular degree program.

Students transferring from accredited Alabama two-year colleges may complete the University of Montevallo general education requirements by completing courses outlined in the Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee (AGSC) Transfer Guide. The University transfer website assists transfer students with course selection by listing the most-appropriate sequence of courses for each major. For further information regarding transfer guides, contact the Office of Admissions.

STARS transfer guides can be accessed at http://stars.troy.edu/stars.html.


Special-Category Admission

High school admission

College preparatory students who have completed the junior year (11th grade) in high school and have attained a cumulative 3.0 or better GPA may, with permission from the appropriate school official, enroll for one credit course (a maximum of 4 semester hours) during the Summer Session following the junior year or during the Fall Semester and/or Spring Semester of the senior year (12th grade). Students planning continued enrollment as freshmen after graduation must submit an application, school transcript, ACT or SAT score report, and meet unconditional admission requirements.

College Ahead

College Ahead is a dual-enrollment partnership between the University of Montevallo and the Shelby County School System. High school seniors and juniors may participate with the approval of their principals. Students are also encouraged to enroll in summer courses taught on the UM campus. Details of the College Ahead program may be found on the University’s website or by contacting the Director of Admissions at 665-6027.

Temporary Admission

Temporary student admission is a non-degree category. Students who have graduated from high school two or more years prior to the intended date of enrollment may register for courses on either a credit or an audit (space available) basis.

Transient Admission

A student in good standing at an accredited college or university may be admitted on a transient (visiting) basis. To be considered, an application must be submitted with a letter of good academic standing from the current or previous college or university. Transient admission may be approved for either a semester or a Summer Session.


Readmission to the University

Students who have been absent one year or more more must apply for readmission, and those who have not been in attendance for four or more years must meet the requirements of the University Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission.

Academic Clemency

Academic Clemency is designed for former undergraduate students at UM whose GPAs during previous enrollments make it impossible or highly unlikely for them ever to graduate. A former student may apply for Academic Clemency to the Dean of the college in which he or she intends to pursue a major if he or she has not been enrolled at any academic institution for at least 36 months and has not previously been granted Academic Clemency at UM. For more information, please refer to the Academic Clemency Policy located in Academic Programs and Policies   or contact the Registrar’s Office.

Financial Information

Cashier’s Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6065
(205) 665-6065


Full-time or part-time

For undergraduate students, a semester schedule of 12 credit hours or more is full-time. A semester schedule of 11 credit hours or fewer is part-time.

Alabama residency for tuition purposes

For the purpose of determining tuition, applicants are classified as in-state (Alabama) or out-of-state (non-Alabama) students. Information concerning residency reclassification can be located on the Registrar’s webpage.

The following individuals, in addition to those students who qualify according to the University’s Residency Guidelines as listed on the University’s website, shall be charged the in-state/in-district rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • Anyone using educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation/Employment (VR&E), also be charged the resident rate.  Effective for courses and terms beginning after March 1, 2019, a public institution of higher learning must charge the resident rate to chapter 31 participants, as well as the other categories of individuals described above.  When an institution charges these individuals more than the rate for resident students, VA is required to disapprove programs of education sponsored by VA.
  • The policy shall be read to be amended as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. 3679(c) as amended.

Rate Schedule

To view the current rate schedule and fees for undergraduate study at the University of Montevallo, visit the University’s website.

Other Fees

Application for admission
A non-refundable fee of $30 must be attached or enclosed with the application for admission. The check or money order is to be made out to the University of Montevallo, payable in U.S. funds. If the application is completed on the web, the fee can be paid on-line using a credit/debit card.

Audit payment
The audit fee is $25 per credit hour, plus semester fees. Audit fees are waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Audit registration is in the Registrar’s Office, on or after the first day of class, even when the fee is waived.

Continuing Education/In-Service
Charges for non-credit Continuing Education courses are not considered as tuition. Information on payment will be provided upon registration for any Continuing Education activity.

Foreign checks fee
A $15 fee will be charged for processing checks drawn on foreign banks.

Housing fees
Both undergraduate and graduate students in residence halls pay an amount that includes Internet, utilities, a 24-hour movie channel, and basic cable television. Fees for private rooms are additional. Private-room reservations cannot be guaranteed until 5 p.m. on the first day of classes. The private-room fee will be refunded, or a credit will be given, if the resident does not receive a private room.

When it is necessary for a student enrolled in an internship or other similar experience to live away from campus, adjustments are made in charges for room and board.

Students who withdraw from housing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of the housing portion of any preregistration payment received for the term. More information is available on the Housing and Residence Life webpage.

ID cards
Each University of Montevallo student is required to obtain an official ID card that displays the student’s photograph. The card is required to use the library, receive financial aid, and take advantage of the services and activities at the University. Students may apply for a UM ID card in person at the Solution Center in Carmichael Library.

Returned checks
If a check received by the University fails to clear the bank, the person who presented the check to the University will be charged $35. If the returned check was presented on behalf of a student, the student’s account will reflect all charges and fees. Thereafter, should an individual have checks that fail to clear the bank, the University reserves the right to not accept personal checks and may require cash payments.

Room deposit
A $100 room deposit must be submitted at the time of application for on-campus housing. The deposit, less any debts or costs for damages to the room, will be refunded in accordance with the following stipulations.

At the conclusion of the final semester or summer term in the residence hall, the student must complete a room deposit refund request and submit it to a hall staff member upon checkout. Students may cancel a room reservation and receive a full refund, provided that the cancellation is submitted in writing, by July 15 for Fall Semester, December 1 for Spring Semester, or May 5 for Summer Session, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life (West Main Hall, Station 6235). Students who cancel their reservations in writing after these dates and before the opening date for the residence halls receive a 50 percent refund. Students who cancel a room reservation or withdraw from the University after the opening date for the residence halls forfeit the deposit. Any exception requires approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

A student who is denied admission to the University shall be eligible to receive a full refund of the room deposit. Room deposits not claimed within one year after a student leaves the residence halls shall revert to the University.

Vehicle registration

All students, staff, and faculty who operate a motor vehicle on the University campus must register each year, secure a permit, and display it as directed. Student registration of a vehicle costs $35 each year. Failure to comply with guidelines may result in penalty to the vehicle operator. More information is available on the Public Safety webpage.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges is due in advance or by 5 p.m. on the first day of the term. Payment for preregistration is due as announced during the preregistration period. Refer to the University Calendar.

The University accepts cash, personal checks, and most credit cards (VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, American Express®) for payments. Payment can also be made by accessing the student account on the web. Additional information is available on the Cashier’s Office webpage.

Partial Payment Plan

For tuition, fees, room and board, the University of Montevallo offers a payment plan option administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. The payment plan option, available to all students during the Fall and Spring semesters, is a convenient alternative to lump-sum payments. It features monthly payments, no interest charges, low-cost enrollment ($40 non-refundable fee per semester), and automatic payments on scheduled dates after enrollment. Please consult the Cashier’s website for more detailed information.


During each enrollment period, students may preregister for subsequent study if the current term is paid in full. Payment must be received on or before the announced preregistration deadline dates in order to complete registration and confirm the course schedule. Students who do not comply with payment due dates will be charged a $50 late payment fee. If payment is not received by the end of the first week of class, the student’s schedule will be dropped. Students withdrawing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of any preregistration payment made for the term.

For those students who do not meet their first summer term required payment deadline and are therefore dropped for non-payment, all subsequent summer terms’ enrollment will be dropped as well.


Course Drops

A student who drops a course will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent through the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made for a class dropped after the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made when a class is changed from credit to audit. More information is available on the Cashier’s Office webpage.

Official Withdrawal

A student who officially withdraws from enrollment at the University will have a tuition adjustment as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 90%
Through the fourth week 50%
Through the eighth week 25%
Ninth and subsequent weeks 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board will be adjusted on a pro rata basis in units of one week. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

May Term

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the second day 75%
Through the third day 50%
Through the fourth day 25%
Fifth and subsequent days 0%

Full Summer Term (May, Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 75%
Through the third week 50%
Through the fourth week 25%
Fifth and subsequent weeks 0%

Summer I & Summer II

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the third day 75%
Through the fourth day 50%
Through the fifth day 25%
Sixth and subsequent days 0%

Combined Summer Term (Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the fourth day 75%
Through the tenth day 50%
Through the twelfth day 25%
Thirteenth and subsequent days 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board is charged separately for May Term, Summer I, and Summer II and will be adjusted for withdrawing on the appropriate pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

Students receiving Title IV aid are strongly urged to contact the Office of Student Financial Services prior to making a decision to withdraw. The student may be obligated to repay some portion of the aid to the Department of Education, as well as some portion of their student account, and may become ineligible for further Title IV assistance.

Refunds for Drop or Official Withdrawal

The University and federal financial aid funding agencies receive prorated shares of the refund, according to the Federal Refund and Repayment Policy. If a credit balance remains after the financial aid programs have been repaid, this amount is refunded to the student at the campus address (for course withdrawal or drop) or at the permanent address (for semester withdrawal). Students may elect to sign up for Direct Deposit.


Financial Aid

Bob Walker, Director of Student Aid
Palmer Hall, Station 6050
(205) 665-6050

Communication with Students

The primary communication with students is through UM e-mail and Banner Self Service. Students are urged to check UM e-mail and Self Service weekly to monitor requests for additional documentation, notice of awards, and other vital information. Students accept/decline aid offers on Self Service.

Basic Information

Students and prospective students are encouraged to visit the Student Aid webpage to obtain comprehensive information concerning application procedures, priority dates, available federal aid programs, and a list of scholarships. Self Service provides detailed information specific to an individual student.

To apply for financial aid, a student must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on October 1 for the following academic year at www.fafsa.gov. In order to be considered for federal student aid, students must be unconditionally admitted into a degree seeking program.

Enrollment Status

Unless otherwise stated, all aid is based on enrollment as a full-time student, which is defined as a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate and a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students. To receive federal loans, students must be enrolled at least half time. Half time for undergraduates is a minimum of six (6) credit hours, and half time for graduate students is a minimum of five (5) credit hours. If a student drops below full-time, certain types of aid may be canceled or reduced.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Students to Receive Federal Student Aid:

Federal regulations require a student receiving Federal Student Aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) towards a degree. Eligibility is determined based on the student’s Qualitative measure (grade point average), Quantitative measure (pace of progress towards the degree), and the Maximum Timeframe (the total number of credit hours attempted).  If the student does not meet all three of the SAP requirements, the student may no longer be eligible for Federal Student Aid.

1. Qualitative Measure (Grade Point Average GPA):

Eligibility will be determined based on the student’s overall GPA hours (transfer and University of Montevallo) and the student’s University of Montevallo (UM) cumulative GPA.

If a Student’s Overall GPA Hours is Minimum Cumulative UM GPA Required
0-29 1.50
30-59 1.70
60-89 1.90
90+ 2.0

GPA hours are credit hours for which a standard letter grade is received (A, B, C, D, and F).

For example, a student has attempted 30 credit hours during his entire college career, 15 credit hours earned with a GPA of 2.00 from another college and 15 credit hours earned from UM with a 1.50 GPA for a total of 30 Overall GPA Hours. His overall GPA is 1.75. The student is not meeting this measure since his cumulative UM GPA is 1.50 which is less than the minimum cumulative 1.70 UM GPA a student must earn based on 30 overall GPA hours.

2. Quantitative Measure (Pace of Progress towards a degree or percentage of hours earned):

Students must earn a minimum of 67 percent of all credit hours attempted, including transfer hours placed on the UM transcript and for UM classes for which the student received grades of W, I, IP, NC, and P. Earned hours include credit hours for which the student receives a passing grade (A, B, C, D, or P). This percentage may be rounded up to 67 percent from 66.66 percent.

For example, a student has attempted a total of 24 credit hours during her entire college career and passed 16 credit hours. The student passed 66.67% of credit hours attempted (16 divided by 24) which is less than the 67% required. However, the student is meeting this measure since the 66.66% may be rounded up to 67%.

3. Maximum Timeframe (Total hours a student may attempt and receive Federal Student Aid):

Students may not receive Federal Student Aid which includes Federal Direct or Parent Plus loans after attempting 150% of the hours required for completion of the degree. This includes transfer hours placed on the UM transcript and for UM classes for which the student received grades of W, I, IP, NC, P, S, and U.

For example, a student must earn 120 credit hours to be eligible for a degree. Once a student attempts 180 credit hours (120 hours required for the degree X 1.50 = 180 credit hours) the student is no longer eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Incomplete grade - Grades of I and IP are included in hours attempted but not in GPA hours or GPA calculation until the student completes the course. If the student does not complete the course in the allotted time for which he or she received an I grade, the grade automatically becomes an F.

Withdrawals - Grades of W are included in hours attempted but not in GPA hours or GPA calculation.

Repeat Courses - The credit hours for every occurrence of a repeat course are included in hours attempted and GPA hours. The credit hours for only one occurrence of a repeated, previously passed course are included in earned hours.

Transfer Hours -  All credit hours that are from other schools placed on the UM transcript will be included in hours attempted and credit hours from other schools for which a student received a standard letter grade of (A, B, C, D, and F) will be included in overall GPA Hours. The credit hours for passed courses (and only one occurrence of a repeated, previously passed course) are included in overall earned hours.

Remedial Courses - Any remedial courses will be treated the same as regular courses.

Frequency of check - A student’s SAP will be checked at the end of each semester. Transfer students’ SAP will be checked after admission. If a student’s transcript from another college is received after the semester begins, any transfer hours will be included in the next SAP check.

Warning Status - A student not meeting the Quantitative or Qualitative SAP measures will be assigned a SAP status of Warning for the next semester, meaning the student will be able to receive Federal Student Aid one more semester. If the student is not meeting SAP standards at the end of the next semester the student will not be able to receive Federal Student Aid.

Regaining Eligibility - Students who lose eligibility for Federal Student Aid by not meeting SAP measures may regain eligibility by getting back in compliance with the SAP measures explained above. Sitting out of college will not help a student regain Federal Student Aid eligibility.

Probation Status - A student not meeting the SAP standards and has had an appeal for financial aid suspension approved will be assigned a SAP status of Probation. The student must be meeting the SAP standards at the end of the next semester or meeting the requirements of an academic plan, as determined by the Student Aid Office, to be eligible for Federal Student Aid for the subsequent semester.

Appeal Process - A student who does not meet the requirements for SAP may choose to appeal to the Office of Student Aid for an exception on the grounds that a special or extenuating circumstance contributed to his or her failure to meet standards and what has changed that will allow the student to make SAP at the next semester. Such appeals must be submitted on the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form that is available in the Office of Student Aid. The appeal should contain documentation, if available, to support the claim of extenuating circumstances. The student is required to provide an academic plan from the student’s dean or adviser. Changes to an academic plan may also be appealed by the student by submitting the appeal form following the same appeal procedures.

Decisions made by the Office of Student Aid relative to appeals, as well as changes in SAP status to Warning or Failure will be sent to the student through the student’s UM e-mail or the student may check the status on the Banner student portal on UM.

It is the responsibility of the student to initiate any appeal for reinstatement of federal financial aid eligibility. Academic reinstatement by the Registrar or Undergraduate Admissions does not constitute reinstatement of aid eligibility.

Second Bachelor’s Degree - SAP for students pursuing a second Bachelor’s degree will be determined using the same requirements of this policy, with the exception of the 180 credit hour maximum timeframe. Students pursuing a second bachelor’s degree and who are meeting measures 1 and 2 above but have attempted 180 credit hours or more must provide an academic plan prepared by their adviser or dean to the student aid office showing the courses needed to complete the second bachelor’s degree after all other previous coursework has been applied towards the second bachelor’s degree. The plan will be reviewed at the end of each semester by the student aid office and if the student is not following the plan, Federal Student Aid will be suspended.

Graduate Students - SAP for graduate students will generally be determined using the same requirements of this policy. In addition, students academically suspended are not considered to be meeting SAP requirements and are not eligible for Federal Student Aid. Students admitted as a regular student in a graduate degree program will be given one year to complete any undergraduate pre-requisite courses.

Consequences of Withdrawal

Prior to withdrawing or otherwise ceasing to attend classes, students should contact the Student Aid Office to determine the potential impact of the withdrawal. To officially withdraw, students must contact the Falcon Success Center.

Treatment of Federal Student Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how your school must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans. Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period.

If you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment (your school can define these for you and tell you which one applies to you), the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or your school or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/ or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, your school must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Your school may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as contracted with the school). The school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges. If you do not give your permission (some schools ask for this when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or your school or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, your school must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

1. Your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or

2. The entire amount of excess funds.

The school must return this amount even if it didn’t keep this amount of your Title IV program funds.

If your school is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that your school may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. Your school may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. If you don’t already know your school’s refund policy, you should ask your school for a copy. Your school can also provide you with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

Part-Time Employment

Federal Work Study may be awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA. Funds are limited. This provides students with an opportunity to earn wages while working on campus. For a listing of job opportunities, visit the Student Employment Office webpage. For more details regarding Federal Work Study, visit the Student Aid webpage. Some jobs may be paid through individual departments. Those positions are classified as “jobship” rather than federal work study.


The University offers numerous scholarships to students. Information on scholarship opportunities can be found on the Student Aid website.


The Student Aid website contains detailed information regarding loans.

The Ford Federal Direct Loan is awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA. Additional information is available on the Student Aid website.

Details such as the rights and responsibilities and terms of repayment for the Federal Direct Loan will be provided when the student signs the promissory note and completes entrance counseling. PLUS loans are also available for parents of dependent students.


Federal Pell Grants

Pell Grants are awarded based on need as determined by the FAFSA. Apply by completing the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants

Awards for FSEOG are based on need and generally awarded to students receiving the full Pell Grant. File the FAFSA to be considered. Funds are limited.

Alabama Student Assistance Program

Awards are based on need and generally awarded to students receiving the full Pell Grant. File the FAFSA to be considered. Funds are limited.


Veterans’ Benefits

Amanda Tinney Fox, Coordinator of Veterans Affairs
Palmer Hall, Station 6040
(205) 665-6037

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

VA website: www.gibill.va.gov
National Call Center for Veterans’ Education Benefits:
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Veterans Educational Assistance Programs Accepted

  • Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • The Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit Act
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • Yellow Ribbon Program


Students using the Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit program or ANGEP should contact the UM Student Aid Office at (205) 665-6050.

Students using Federal GI Bill® benefits should contact the UM Coordinator of Veteran Affairs at the contact information above.

All degree programs at the University of Montevallo are currently approved by the State Approving Agency. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans and their dependents. This service is located in the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall.

The Federal Department of Veterans’ Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the VA. A completed VA Request for Certification form must be returned to the Coordinator for Veteran Affairs for each academic year. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office and on the University’s website.

Complaint Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits

For students receiving VA education benefits, any complaint against the school should be routed through the VA GI Bill® Feedback System. The VA will then follow up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily. The VA GI Bill® Feedback System is accessed at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/feedback.asp