Jan 24, 2022  
2015-2016 Graduate Bulletin 
2015-2016 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information and Services

Cashier’s Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6065
Phone: (205) 665-6065


Full-Time or Part-Time

A semester schedule of 9 or more credit hours is full-time. A semester schedule of 8 credit hours or fewer is part-time.

Alabama Residency

Tuition costs vary depending on whether or not the student is classified as a resident of Alabama. More information regarding student classification for payment of graduate tuition is available in Graduate Admissions and Records. Payment information can be found on the University’s website.

The following individuals shall be charged the in-state/in-district rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  •  Anyone using transferred Post - 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b) (9)) who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school.  The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.

Rate Schedule

To view the current rate schedule and fees for graduate study at the University of Montevallo, visit the University’s website.

Graduate Application Fee

A $30 non-refundable graduate application fee is required in order to process a graduate application. Payment should be submitted with the graduate application.

Alternative Master’s Degree Program Evaluation Fee

A $25 Alternative Master’s Degree Program evaluation fee is required in order for an evaluation to be done. Payment should be submitted with the Alternative Master’s Degree Program evaluation application.

Activity Fee

Full-time graduate students are required to pay a student activity fee since they have the opportunity to access all services and programs funded by the fee. Included among these programs/services are student lounges; the Student Retreat facility; the Robert M. McChesney Student Activity Center; the campus newspaper, yearbook, and literary magazine; intramural sports; College Night and homecoming activities; and a variety of concerts and lectures. Graduate students are represented in the Student Government Association by one elected graduate student senator.

Audit Payment

Students may audit a class at a cost of $25 per credit hour. Audit fees are waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Auditing students should register for the course in Graduate Admissions and Records on or after the first day of class, even when the fee is waived. Written permission from the instructor is required.

Continuing Education

Charges for non-credit Continuing Education courses are not considered as tuition. Information on payment will be provided upon registration for any Continuing Education activity.

Foreign Checks Fee

A $15 fee will be charged for processing checks drawn on foreign banks.

Housing Fees

Both undergraduate and graduate students in residence halls pay an amount that includes all utilities, wireless internet, and cable television. The room assignment is for the Fall and Spring terms (unless a student moves in a the beginning of Spring term). When a student checks in to housing, she/he will be required to sign the 9-month Housing Agreement. Residents who cancel after checking in forfeit the $100 deposit, prorated monthly rent for time on campus, and pay a $500 fee.

ID Cards

Any student who enrolls at Montevallo is required to have a student identification card. Students are provided with information as to the time and place to be photographed for original and replacement cards. The original identification card is provided at no cost. Replacements for lost or damaged cards cost $10 each. If a student is not enrolled in classes, the ID card will cease to function.

Late Registration

Enrollment two weeks after the beginning of the semester requires special permission of the dean of the appropriate college.

Returned Checks

If a check received by the University fails to clear the bank, the person who presented the check to the University will be charged $35. If the returned check was presented on behalf of a student, the student’s account will reflect all charges and fees. Thereafter, should an individual have checks that fail to clear the bank, the University reserves the right to not accept personal checks and may require cash payments.

Room Deposit

A $100 room deposit must be submitted at the time of application for on-campus housing. The deposit, less any debts or costs for damages to the room, will be refunded in accordance with the following stipulations.

At the conclusion of the final semester or summer term in the residence hall, the student must complete a room-deposit refund request and submit it to a hall staff member upon checkout. Students may cancel a room reservation and receive a full refund, provided that the cancellation is submitted in writing, by July 15 for Fall Semester, December 1 for Spring Semester, or May 5 for Summer Session, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life (West Main Hall, Station 6235). Students who cancel their reservations in writing after these dates and before the opening date for the residence halls receive a 50 percent refund. Students who cancel a room reservation or withdraw from the University after the opening date for the residence halls forfeit the deposit. Any exception requires approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

A student who is denied admission to the University shall be eligible to receive a full refund of the room deposit. Room deposits not claimed within one year after a student leaves the residence halls shall revert to the University.

Vehicle Registration

All students, staff, and faculty who operate a motor vehicle on the University campus must register each year, secure a permit, and display it as directed. Student registration of a vehicle costs $35 each year. Failure to comply with guidelines may result in penalty to the vehicle operator.


Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges is due by 5 p.m. of the first day of classes. Refer to the University Calendar  in this Bulletin.

The University accepts cash, personal checks, and most credit cards (VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, American Express®) for payments. Payment can also be made by accessing the student account on the web.

Partial Payment Plan

For tuition, fees, room and board, the University of Montevallo offers a payment plan option administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. The payment plan option, available to all students during the Fall and Spring semesters, is a convenient alternative to lump-sum payments. It features monthly payments, no interest charges, low-cost enrollment ($40 non-refundable fee per semester), and automatic payments on scheduled dates after enrollment. Please consult the Cashier’s website through University of Montevallo’s website for more detailed information.


During each enrollment period, students may preregister for subsequent study if the current term is paid in full. Payment must be received on or before the announced preregistration deadline dates in order to complete registration and confirm the course schedule. Students who do not comply with payment due dates will be charged a $50 late payment fee. If payment is not received by the end of the first week of class, the student’s schedule will be dropped. Students withdrawing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of any preregistration payment made for the term.



Course Drops

A student who drops a course will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent through the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made for a class dropped after the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made when a class is changed from credit to audit.

Official Withdrawal

A student who officially withdraws from enrollment at the University will have a tuition adjustment as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 90%
Through the fourth week 50%
Through the eighth week 25%
Ninth and subsequent weeks 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board will be adjusted on a pro rata basis in units of one full week. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

May Term

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the second day 75%
Through the third day 50%
Through the fourth day 25%
Fifth and subsequent days 0%

Full Summer Term (May, Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 75%
Through the third week 50%
Through the fourth week 25%
Fifth and subsequent weeks 0%

Summer I & II

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the third day 75%
Through the fourth day 50%
Through the fifth day 25%
Sixth and subsequent days 0%

Combined Summer Term (Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the fourth day 75%
Through the tenth day 50%
Through the twelfth day 25%
Thirteenth and subsequent days 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board is charged separately for May Term, Summer I, and Summer II, and will be adjusted for withdrawing on the appropriate pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

Refunds for Drop or Official Withdrawal

The University and federal financial aid funding agencies receive prorated shares of the refund, according to the Federal Refund and Repayment Policy. If a credit balance remains after the financial aid programs have been repaid, this amount is refunded to the student at the campus address (for dropped courses) or at the permanent address (for official withdrawal). Students may elect to sign up for Direct Deposit.


Financial Aid

Bob Walker
Director of Student Financial Services
Palmer Hall, Station 6050
Phone: (205) 665-6050
Fax: (205) 665-6047
e-mail: rwalker7@montevallo.edu

To apply for financial aid, a student must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to file electronically at www.fafsa.gov by March 1 annually.

Enrollment Status

Students will be awarded aid based on full-time enrollment (9 credit hours or more). Aid for students who are enrolled in fewer than 9 hours will be prorated based on part-time status. Internships of 5 hours will also be awarded on part-time status. Students receiving Stafford loans must be enrolled for at least 5 hours.

Academic Standards

A student receiving financial assistance must maintain minimum academic progress toward completion of a degree or certificate. The following standards will prevail in determining minimum academic progress.

Eligibility for Title IV student financial assistance (such as federal loans) is evaluated as part of the initial application process and again at the end of each semester. In this evaluation process, all grades of W (Withdrawn), I (Incomplete), and IP (In Progress), and all courses dropped after the drop/add period will be counted as hours attempted and not passed. Determination of eligibility will be based on an historical evaluation of all hours attempted, as well as the student’s grade point average. All hours accepted for transfer credit by the University will be included among those evaluated to determine eligibility.

Several scholarships require a higher minimum GPA than those required for minimum academic progress.

Students who are suspended from the University for academic reasons are not considered to be making minimum academic progress. Students must average passing 67 percent of all hours attempted. Students cannot receive aid after they have attempted 150 percent of the academic work required for a degree.

Appeals Procedure

A student who does not meet the requirements for minimum academic progress may choose to appeal to the Office of Student Financial Services for an exception on the grounds that mitigating circumstances contributed to his or her failure to meet standards. Such appeals must be in writing and should contain documentation as appropriate to support the claim of mitigating circumstances. Decisions made by the Office of Student Financial Services relative to appeals will be sent to the student’s forUM e-mail account and will note any conditions placed upon the student for continued eligibility.

Consequences of Withdrawal

Students who are receiving any form of federal financial aid and withdraw from the University of Montevallo, either officially or unofficially, should be aware that they may be required to repay some or all of the federal funds received.

The U.S. Department of Education has determined that a student earns a percentage of the federal financial aid awarded based on the percentage of the term attended. Students who attend beyond the 60-percent point of the term are considered to have earned 100 percent of the federal aid awarded.

Federal regulations require institutions to monitor unofficial withdrawals when a student “drops out” without officially withdrawing. When a student fails all courses attempted, the University must determine if the student actually attended class and earned the grade or if the student stopped attending. A last date of attendance is submitted by faculty in order to determine whether or not a student completed the course. Students who unofficially withdraw are notified and a portion of the federal aid is returned to the federal program(s). Students are strongly advised to withdraw officially rather than “drop out” of school if attendance must cease due to unforeseen circumstances. To officially withdraw, students must contact the Registrar’s Office.

In addition, withdrawing from the University affects the Satisfactory Academic Progress standard and may affect the future receipt of federal aid.

Prior to withdrawing or otherwise ceasing to attend classes, students should contact the Office of Student Financial Services to determine the potential impact of the withdrawal. To withdraw officially, students must contact the Registrar’s Office.


Scholarships, grants, and fellowships are considered taxable income if the amount exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies and equipment. The student is responsible for retaining award letters and other documentation for tax-reporting purposes.

Part-Time Employment

Montevallo provides financial assistance to students through programs funded by federal or University dollars. Of these, the Federal Work-Study program (FWS) and the University Jobship Program offer part-time employment to students. During a semester, a student may work up to an average of 20 hours a week.

Students are encouraged to contact the Career Development Center regarding job openings.


Students must be admitted formally to Phase II of the Alternative Master’s Degree program in Secondary Education pursuing initial teacher certification in general science, chemistry, math, biology, or Collaborative Teacher (K-6, 6-12, DHH), or be admitted to the Traditional Master’s Degree program in Secondary Education for general science, chemistry, math, or biology teachers. To be considered, applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate award year. The grant will be awarded by the Office of Student Financial Services to eligible students who are recommended by Graduate Admissions and Records. Students will be advised to complete additional requirements to secure funds. This includes a federal “Agreement to Serve” for a designated number of years in a Title I school in specified high-need fields. Failure to comply with the agreement will result in the grant reverting to an unsubsidized Direct Loan.



The intent of the Graduate Honors Scholarship is to support outstanding graduates of four-year institutions of higher education who are seeking a master’s degree. Room, board, and fees are not included. Scholarship funds will be divided among academic departments based on the number of graduate students in each of their programs. Assistance is provided for graduate courses only. To be considered, a student must have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale in the chosen field of study and a minimum of 1100 on the verbal and quantitative portions (combined) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or a minimum of 407 on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or a 550 on the GMAT Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). While all candidates must meet these requirements, each department may determine additional criteria for recipients. Final selections will be made by the department. Qualified students will obtain scholarship applications and renewal requests from Graduate Admissions and Records or from the website. All applications for the Graduate Honors Scholarship will be reviewed by a departmental selection committee. The department chair will inform the Director of Graduate Admissions and Records of the department’s decision. The notification of award will be sent to the recipient from Graduate Admissions and Records. Scholarship applications should be received in Graduate Admissions and Records by July 1 for all awards.

The Helen Perkins Scholarship is awarded to Alternative Master’s Degree Program interns. Created in memory of Registrar emeritus Helen Perkins, the scholarship is based on financial need and academic credential and recognizes the achievements of UM students who have elected to pursue careers in education. Scholarship recipient(s) will be selected by the Chair of Elementary and Secondary Programs, along with at least three education faculty members. The award amount is determined by the Chair of Elementary and Secondary Programs based on endowment earnings available for distribution. Since the scholarship is for use during the internship, there will be no possibility of renewal. Application should be made to Elementary and Secondary Programs no later than June 15 for consideration for fall and spring internships of the following academic year.

The Minority Educators Scholarship Program was established to increase the number of minority students completing teacher education programs. Graduate students who received this scholarship as undergraduates are not eligible to re-apply. Eligibility requirements include a minimum MAT score of 399 or a minimum score of 900 (old format) or 340 (new format) or better on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE, and a minimum grade point average of 2.5 earned in undergraduate work. Recipients must maintain a 3.0 or better grade point average on graduate work, must maintain “full-time” status, and must complete the Alternative Master’s Degree Program within two years of admission. Recipients must grant an exit interview upon leaving the program. Applicants may apply in the College of Education Dean’s Office. Application deadline is March 1 for the following year.

The Purdy Scholarship is awarded to selected individuals who have been admitted unconditionally to the Teacher Leader program and for their first year of enrollment only. Applicants must meet a master’s degree grade point average of at least 3.25. Along with the application, applicants must submit a letter of application, a current resumé, and recommendation letters from two teachers within the applicant’s school verifying exceptional performance as teachers and potential for success as Teacher Leaders. Decisions will be made by the Teacher Leader faculty and will be final. The application deadline is July 15. Contact Graduate Admissions and Records for more information.

Applications for all scholarships may be obtained in Graduate Admissions and Records. Other scholarships may be available. Contact individual departments for more information.



Visit the University website for information about student loans.


Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistants at the University of Montevallo are students first and employees second. They have as their primary focus advanced study and ultimately the completion of a graduate degree. Therefore, the services they provide as graduate assistants should complement professional development in their chosen fields of study.

With the exception of graduate assistant coaches, graduate assistants must be enrolled as full-time students as defined in the Graduate Bulletin (unless fewer than six (6) hours are required to complete the degree in their last term). Graduate assistant coaches must be enrolled in at least 50 percent of this minimum requirement during the regular terms. All graduate assistants must be enrolled for a minimum of three (3) hours in the summer.

The application process may vary from department to department.

Graduate assistants must maintain the cumulative 3.0 grade point average required of all graduate students and must perform satisfactorily in the judgment of the employing department and supervisor.

Graduate assistants are employed on a semester basis and may be continued for no longer than three calendar years.

Graduate assistants shall be supervised directly by a full-time faculty or staff member within the employing department. Graduate assistants’ responsibilities will be defined by the employing department/supervisor. Graduate assistants not completing practicum or internship requirements may not be permitted to work beyond an average of twenty (20) hours per week.

The University of Montevallo does not employ graduate assistants for teaching on a regular basis; however, occasionally, students may be employed to teach if they have a minimum of eighteen (18) graduate hours in the discipline that is to be taught and if they demonstrate proficiency in English. Graduate assistants employed to teach physical education activity courses do not have to have the eighteen (18) hours but must have the prerequisite knowledge and experience to teach the activity effectively. Graduate assistants may teach no more than six (6) hours per regular term and three (3) hours per abbreviated term.

Evaluations of the graduate assistant’s performance will be completed and maintained by the employing department/supervisor.

The oversight of graduate assistants is the responsibility of the supervisor (department chair, staff supervisor, faculty supervisor) and the dean of the college in which the graduate student is employed.


Financial Assistance for Graduate Students for Professional Development

Annually some funds are set aside in the Graduate Admissions and Records budget for the support of graduate students who are engaged in professional activity, e.g., presenting papers, facilitating meetings, etc. Funds allocated for this purpose usually are targeted for the reimbursement of student expenses. Applications for assistance will be evaluated and recipients will be approved by Graduate Council. The Application for Financial Assistance for Professional Activities is available in the office of Graduate Admissions and Records or on the website.


Veterans’ Benefits

Amanda Fox, Coordinator of Veterans Affairs
Palmer Hall, Station 6035
telephone: (205) 665-6035
fax: (205) 665-6042
e-mail: foxat@montevallo.edu

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

VA website: www.gibill.va.gov
National Call Center for Veterans’ Education Benefits:
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Veterans Educational Assistance Programs

  • Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33: Yellow Ribbon)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • The Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit Act


Students interested in the Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit program should contact their county Veterans Affairs Office or the Student Financial Services Office at the University.

All degree programs at the University of Montevallo are currently approved by the State Approving Agency. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans and their dependents, assisting in obtaining benefits from the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs. This service is located in the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall.

The Federal Department of Veterans’ Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the VA. A completed VA Request for Certification form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office for each academic year. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office and on the University’s website.