Elementary Program: Professor McEwan; Associate Professors Moore (Program Coordinator), Ratchford, Williams; Assistant Professors Davis, Raulston, Smajic.
Special Education and Educational Foundations: Professors Cost, Thrower; Associate Professors Smith, Suell.
Secondary Program: Professor Whitsett; Associate Professor Cook (Program Coordinator); Assistant Professors Alexiou-Ray, G. Samuels.
Leadership Program: Associate Professor Bentley; Assistant Professors A. Samuels, Shanks.
Elementary Education, Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and Secondary/P-12 Education Programs
This department offers three degree options.
The Alternative Masters option is designed for students who have an undergraduate degree, but do not hold a teaching certificate. This option leads to a master’s degree plus Class A initial certification.
The Traditional Masters option is designed for students who hold Class B teaching certification. This option leads to a master’s degree plus Class A advanced certification.
The Educational Specialist option is designed for students who currently hold a Master’s Degree and Class A certification. It lead to Class AA advanced certification.
The Instructional Leadership Program offers a M.Ed. or an Ed.S. in Instructional Leadership as well as a Reduced Hour Option in Instructional Leadership for qualified candidates.
Candidates who hold a valid Alabama Class A Professional Educator Certificate and meet the requirements for admission to the Class A Instructional Leadership program may be recommended for a Class A Professional Leadership Certificate based on having earned credit (18 hours) for the following coursework:
- EDL 593 Leadership, Collaboration, and Mentoring (3 hours)
- EDL 594 Curriculum and Instructional Leadership (3 hours)
- EDL 595 Public Relations, Community Resources, and Ethics (3 hours)
- EDL 596 Fiscal and Non-Fiscal Resources for Instruction (3 hours)
- EDL 597 Legal Issues and Human Resources for Instruction (3 hours)
- EDL 599 Residency and Capstone Seminar (3 hours)
Each candidate is required to successfully complete the Praxis II content area test(s) for their area(s) of instructional support as a pre-condition for certification. The Alabama State Department of Education has pre-determined qualifying scores for each content test and information on qualifying scores and each Praxis II test may be found on the ETS Praxis website at https://www.ets.org/praxis/al.
Courses in Elementary & Secondary Education
ProgramsMaster of Education
Educational SpecialistEducational Specialist and AA Certificate
- Collaborative Education 6-12, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Collaborative Education K-6, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Elementary Education, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Elementary Education, Traditional, M.Ed.
- Instructional Leadership, M.Ed.
- P-12 Art Education, Traditional, M.Ed.
- P-12 Art, Alternative, M.Ed.
- P-12 Music Education, Traditional, M.Ed.
- P-12 Music, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Secondary Education, Alternative, M.Ed.
- Secondary Education, Traditional, M.Ed.