2015-2016 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Instructional Leadership, M.Ed.
The following are the admission requirements for the M.Ed.
- Passing score on either the GRE (290) or MAT (388). The test must have been taken within 5 years of the date of application for graduate study.
- Earned baccalaureate-level Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field or earned master’s-level Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field or instructional support area.
- Three years successful teaching experience.
- A minimum grade point average of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) on all undergraduate work attempted or 2.75 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work attempted.
- Passing score on an admission portfolio. The portfolio will contain the following:
a. Three (3) letters of recommendation, to include the applicant’s principal or supervisor. Each local superintendent will establish requirements for recommendations from the principal and/or supervisor.
b. Completed copy (all forms) of the most-recent performance appraisal, to include the professional development component, if available.
c. Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
d. Evidence of leadership and management potential, including evidence of most-recent accomplishments in the area of instructional leadership.
e. Summary of the candidate’s reasons for pursuing instructional leadership certification.
f. Summary of what the candidate expects from the preparation program.
6. Passing score on an interview conducted by a program admission committee that includes both P-12 instructional leaders and higher-education faculty.
7. Evidence of a clear criminal background check.
A reduced-hour option (18 hours) is available in Instructional Leadership. Those individuals who already hold a master’s degree and meet the admission criteria previously listed are eligible to pursue this option for Class A certification.
Students must have maintained a minimum 3.25 GPA (4.0 scale) on all courses in the approved program. In addition, students must make a satisfactory score on a comprehensive written examination covering the content of the program. This requirement applies to all programs. Students must pass the Praxis II to receive Class A Certification in Instructional Leadership.