May 28, 2024  
2017-2018 Graduate Bulletin 
2017-2018 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information and Services

Cashier’s Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6065
Phone: (205) 665-6065


Full-Time or Part-Time

For graduate students, a semester schedule of 9 or more credit hours is full-time. A semester schedule of 8 credit hours or fewer is part-time.

Alabama Residency

For the purpose of determining tuition, applicants are classified as in-state (Alabama) or out-of-state (non-Alabama) students. Information concerning residency reclassification can be located on the University’s website.

The following individuals, in addition to those students who qualify according to the University’s Residency Guidelines as listed on the University’s website, shall be charged the in-state/in-district rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post - 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b) (9)) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school.  The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.

Rate Schedule

To view the current rate schedule and program fees for graduate study at the University of Montevallo, visit the University’s website.

Graduate Application Fee

A $30 non-refundable graduate application fee is required in order to process a graduate application. Payment should be submitted with the graduate application.

Audit Payment

Students may audit a class at a cost of $25 per credit hour. Audit fees are waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Auditing students should register for the course in the Registrar’s Office on or after the first day of class, even when the fee is waived. Written permission from the instructor is required.

Foreign Checks Fee

A $15 fee will be charged for processing checks drawn on foreign banks.

Housing Fees

Both undergraduate and graduate students in residence halls pay an amount that includes all utilities, wireless internet, and cable television. The room assignment is for the Fall and Spring terms (unless a student moves in a the beginning of Spring term). When a student checks in to housing, she/he will be required to sign the 9-month Housing Agreement. Residents who cancel after checking in forfeit the $100 deposit, prorated monthly rent for time on campus, and pay a $500 fee.

ID Cards

Each University of Montevallo student is required to obtain an official ID card that displays the student’s photograph. The card is required to use the library, receive financial aid, and take advantage of the services and activities at the University. Students may apply for a UM ID card in person at the Solution Center in Carmichael Library or online at

Late Registration

Enrollment two weeks after the beginning of the semester requires special permission of the dean of the appropriate college.

Returned Checks

If a check received by the University fails to clear the bank, the person who presented the check to the University will be charged $35. If the returned check was presented on behalf of a student, the student’s account will reflect all charges and fees. Thereafter, should an individual have checks that fail to clear the bank, the University reserves the right to not accept personal checks and may require cash payments.

Room Deposit

A $100 room deposit must be submitted at the time of application for on-campus housing. The deposit, less any debts or costs for damages to the room, will be refunded in accordance with the following stipulations.

At the conclusion of the final semester or summer term in the residence hall, the student must complete a room-deposit refund request and submit it to a hall staff member upon checkout. Students may cancel a room reservation and receive a full refund, provided that the cancellation is submitted in writing, by July 15 for Fall Semester, December 1 for Spring Semester, or May 5 for Summer Session, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life (West Main Hall, Station 6235). Students who cancel their reservations in writing after these dates and before the opening date for the residence halls receive a 50 percent refund. Students who cancel a room reservation or withdraw from the University after the opening date for the residence halls forfeit the deposit. Any exception requires approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

A student who is denied admission to the University shall be eligible to receive a full refund of the room deposit. Room deposits not claimed within one year after a student leaves the residence halls shall revert to the University.

Vehicle Registration

All students, staff, and faculty who operate a motor vehicle on the University campus must register each year, secure a permit, and display it as directed. Student registration of a vehicle costs $35 each year. Failure to comply with guidelines may result in penalty to the vehicle operator.


Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges is due by 5 p.m. of the first day of the term. Refer to the University Calendar .

The University accepts cash, personal checks, and most credit cards (VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, American Express®) for payments. Payment can also be made by accessing the student account on the web.

Partial Payment Plan

For tuition, fees, room and board, the University of Montevallo offers a payment plan option administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. The payment plan option, available to all students during the Fall and Spring semesters, is a convenient alternative to lump-sum payments. It features monthly payments, no interest charges, low-cost enrollment ($40 non-refundable fee per semester), and automatic payments on scheduled dates after enrollment. Please consult the Cashier’s website through University of Montevallo’s website for more detailed information.


During each enrollment period, students may preregister for subsequent study if the current term is paid in full. Payment must be received on or before the announced preregistration deadline dates in order to complete registration and confirm the course schedule. Students who do not comply with payment due dates will be charged a $50 late payment fee. If payment is not received by the end of the first week of class, the student’s schedule will be dropped. Students withdrawing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of any preregistration payment made for the term.



Course Drops

A student who drops a course will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent through the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made for a class dropped after the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made when a class is changed from credit to audit.

Official Withdrawal

A student who officially withdraws from enrollment at the University will have a tuition adjustment as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 90%
Through the fourth week 50%
Through the eighth week 25%
Ninth and subsequent weeks 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board will be adjusted on a pro rata basis in units of one full week. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

May Term

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the second day 75%
Through the third day 50%
Through the fourth day 25%
Fifth and subsequent days 0%

Full Summer Term (May, Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 75%
Through the third week 50%
Through the fourth week 25%
Fifth and subsequent weeks 0%

Summer I & II

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the third day 75%
Through the fourth day 50%
Through the fifth day 25%
Sixth and subsequent days 0%

Combined Summer Term (Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the fourth day 75%
Through the tenth day 50%
Through the twelfth day 25%
Thirteenth and subsequent days 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board is charged separately for May Term, Summer I, and Summer II, and will be adjusted for withdrawing on the appropriate pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

Refunds for Drop or Official Withdrawal

The University and federal financial aid funding agencies receive prorated shares of the refund, according to the Federal Refund and Repayment Policy. If a credit balance remains after the financial aid programs have been repaid, this amount is refunded to the student at the campus address (for dropped courses) or at the permanent address (for official withdrawal). Students may elect to sign up for Direct Deposit.


Financial Aid

Bob Walker
Director of Student Aid Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6050
Phone: (205) 665-6048
Fax: (205) 665-6047

To apply for financial aid, a student must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to file electronically at beginning October 1 annually for school years beginning the next August.

Enrollment Status

Students will be awarded aid based on full-time enrollment (9 credit hours or more). Aid for students who are enrolled in fewer than 9 hours will be prorated based on part-time status. Internships of 5 hours will also be awarded on part-time status. Students receiving Federal loans must be enrolled for at least 5 hours.

Academic Standards

SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive Federal Student Aid) for graduate students will generally be determined using the same requirements as the undergraduate policy (see Financial Aid in the Undergraduate Bulletin for additional information). In addition, students academically suspended are not considered to be meeting SAP requirements and are not eligible for Federal Student Aid. Students admitted as a regular student in a graduate degree program will be given one year to complete any undergraduate pre-requisite courses. Students may earn more than one graduate degree and receive Federal Student Aid if they are in good standing with the UM Graduate School.

Appeals Procedure

A student who does not meet the requirements for SAP may choose to appeal to the Office of Student Aid for an exception on the grounds that a special or extenuating circumstance contributed to his or her failure to meet standards and what has changed that will allow the student to regain SAP at the next semester. Such appeals must be submitted on the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form that is available in the Office of Student Aid. The appeal should contain documentation, if available, to support the claim of extenuating circumstances. In addition, the student is required to provide an academic plan from the student’s dean or adviser. Changes to an academic plan may also be appealed by the student by submitting the appeal form following the same appeal procedures.

Decisions made by the Office of Student Aid relative to appeals, as well as changes in SAP status to Warning or Failure, will be sent to the student through the student’s forUM e-mail or the student may check the status on the Banner student portal in forUM.

It is the responsibility of the student to initiate any appeal for reinstatement of federal financial aid eligibility. Academic reinstatement by the Registrar or a College program does not constitute reinstatement of aid eligibility.

Consequences of Withdrawal

Prior to withdrawing or otherwise ceasing to attend classes, students should contact the Student Aid Office to determine the potential impact of the withdrawal. To withdraw officially, students must contact the Office of Student Success.

Treatment of Federal Student Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how your school must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans. Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period.

If you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment (your school can define these for you and tell you which one applies to you), the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or your school or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/or you. The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, your school must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you do not incur additional debt. Your school may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as contracted with the school). The school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges. If you do not give your permission (some schools ask for this when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school. There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or your school or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, your school must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. Your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. The entire amount of excess funds.

The school must return this amount even if it did not keep this amount of your Title IV program funds.

If your school is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an “overpayment.” The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that your school may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. Your school may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. If you do not already know your school’s refund policy, you should ask your school for a copy. Your school can also provide you with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at


Scholarships, grants, and fellowships are considered taxable income if the amount exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies and equipment. The student is responsible for retaining award letters and other documentation for tax-reporting purposes.

Part-Time Employment

Montevallo provides financial assistance to students through programs funded by federal or University dollars. Of these, the Federal Work-Study program (FWS) and the University Jobship Program offer part-time employment to students. During a semester, a student may work up to an average of 20 hours a week.

For a listing of job opportunities, visit the Student Employment Office at



The intent of the Dr. Terry Roberson Graduate Honors Scholarship is to support outstanding graduates of four-year institutions of higher education who are seeking a master’s degree. Room, board, and fees are not included. Scholarship funds will be divided among academic departments based on the number of graduate students in each of their programs. Assistance is provided for graduate courses only. To be considered, a student must have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale in the chosen field of study and a minimum of 1100 on the verbal and quantitative portions (combined) of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or a minimum of 407 on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or a 550 on the GMAT Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). While all candidates must meet these requirements, each department may determine additional criteria for recipients. Final selections will be made by the department. Qualified students will obtain scholarship applications and renewal requests from the appropriate College. All applications for the Graduate Honors Scholarship will be reviewed by a departmental selection committee. The notification of award will be sent to the recipient from the student’s College. Scholarship applications should be received by July 1 for all awards.

The Helen Perkins Scholarship is awarded to Alternative Master’s Degree Program interns. Created in memory of Registrar emeritus Helen Perkins, the scholarship is based on financial need and academic credential and recognizes the achievements of UM students who have elected to pursue careers in education. Scholarship recipient(s) will be selected by the Chair of Elementary and Secondary Programs, along with at least three education faculty members. The award amount is determined by the Chair of Elementary and Secondary Programs based on endowment earnings available for distribution. Since the scholarship is for use during the internship, there will be no possibility of renewal. Application should be made to Elementary and Secondary Programs no later than June 15 for consideration for fall and spring internships of the following academic year.         

The Minority Educators Scholarship Program was established to increase the number of minority students completing teacher education programs. Graduate students who received this scholarship as undergraduates are not eligible to re-apply. Eligibility requirements include a minimum MAT score of 399 or a minimum score of 900 (old format) or 340 (new format) or better on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE, and a minimum grade point average of 2.5 earned in undergraduate work. Recipients must maintain a 3.0 or better grade point average on graduate work, must maintain “full-time” status, and must complete the Alternative Master’s Degree Program within two years of admission. Recipients must grant an exit interview upon leaving the program. Applicants may apply in the College of Education Dean’s Office. Application deadline is March 1 for the following year.        

The Purdy Scholarship is awarded to selected individuals who have been admitted unconditionally to the Teacher Leader program and for their first year of enrollment only. Applicants must meet a master’s degree grade point average of at least 3.25. Along with the application, applicants must submit a letter of application, a current résumé, and recommendation letters from two teachers within the applicant’s school verifying exceptional performance as teachers and potential for success as Teacher Leaders. Decisions will be made by the Teacher Leader faculty and will be final. The application deadline is July 15.

Other scholarships may be available. Contact the department for your program of study for graduate scholarship application information. Deadlines may apply.



Visit the University website for information about student loans.


Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistants at the University of Montevallo are students first and employees second. They have as their primary focus advanced study and ultimately the completion of a graduate degree. Therefore, the services they provide as graduate assistants should complement professional development in their chosen fields of study.

With the exception of graduate assistant coaches, graduate assistants must be enrolled as full-time students as defined in the Graduate Bulletin (unless fewer than nine (9) hours are required to complete the degree in their last term). Graduate assistant coaches must be enrolled in at least 50 percent of this minimum requirement during the regular terms. All graduate assistants must be enrolled for a minimum of three (3) hours in the summer.

The application process may vary from department to department.

Graduate assistants must maintain the cumulative 3.0 grade point average required of all graduate students and must perform satisfactorily in the judgment of the employing department and supervisor.

Graduate assistants are employed on a semester basis and may be continued for no longer than three calendar years.

Graduate assistants shall be supervised directly by a full-time faculty or staff member within the employing department. Graduate assistants’ responsibilities will be defined by the employing department/supervisor. Graduate assistants not completing practicum or internship requirements may not be permitted to work beyond an average of twenty (20) hours per week.

The University of Montevallo does not employ graduate assistants for teaching. Occasionally, students enrolled in graduate programs may be employed to teach if they have earned a minimum of eighteen (18) graduate hours in the discipline that is to be taught and if they demonstrate proficiency in English.

Evaluations of the graduate assistant’s performance will be completed and maintained by the employing department/supervisor.

The oversight of graduate assistants is the responsibility of the supervisor (department chair, staff supervisor, faculty supervisor) and the dean of the college in which the graduate student is employed.


Financial Assistance for Graduate Students for Professional Development

Annually some funds are set aside for the support of graduate students who are engaged in professional activity, e.g., presenting papers, facilitating meetings, etc. Funds allocated for this purpose usually are targeted for the reimbursement of student expenses. Applications for assistance will be evaluated and recipients will be approved by Graduate Council. The Application for Financial Assistance for Professional Activities is available from each college.


Veterans’ Benefits

Amanda Tinney Fox, Coordinator of Veterans Affairs
Palmer Hall, Station 6040
telephone: (205) 665-6037
fax: (205) 665-6042

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

VA website:
National Call Center for Veterans’ Education Benefits:
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Veterans Educational Assistance Programs

  • Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • The Alabama G.I. Dependents Scholarship
  • Yellow Ribbon Program


Students interested in the Alabama G.I. Dependents Scholarship program should contact their county Veterans Affairs Office or the Student Aid Office at the University.

All degree programs at the University of Montevallo are currently approved by the State Approving Agency. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans and their dependents, assisting in obtaining benefits from the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs. This service is located in the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall.

The Federal Department of Veterans’ Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the VA. Students must submit a current Certificate of Eligibility from the VA and a completed UM Request for Certification form to the Coordinator of Veterans Affairs for each academic year. This form is available on the University’s website.

Complaint Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits

For students receiving VA education benefits, any complaint against the school should be routed through the VA GI Bill Feedback System. The VA will then follow up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily.