Apr 16, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Consumer Information

The University of Montevallo provides the following information and policies about the University to current and prospective students, their families, current and prospective employees, and the general public. A brief description is listed below. A paper copy will be provided upon request. For assistance in obtaining information or obtaining a paper copy please contact Kris Mascetti, (205) 665-6399, kmascetti@montevallo.edu, located in Ramsey Hall or Nikki Bradbury, (205) 665-6044, bradburynp@montevallo.edu, located in Palmer Hall.

The exact location of this information with more details can be found here: www.montevallo.edu/student-aid/consumer-information. Contact the individuals above if you need assistance or check the version on the web page for the latest information.

1.   Student Aid Information and the rights and responsibilities of students receiving student aid

  • Federal, state, local, private, and institutional student financial assistance available to students
  • Need-based and non-need-based Federal Student Aid
  • Terms and conditions of student loans
  • Criteria for selecting recipients  and for determining award amounts
  • Eligibility requirements and procedures and forms  for applying for aid
  • Criteria for continued eligibility, standards to maintain eligibility, satisfactory academic progress,  and criteria for re-establishing eligibility for financial assistance
  • The methods and frequency by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to the student
  • Enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the university may be considered enrollment in the home school for purposes of applying for Federal Student Aid. Check with the UM Student Aid Office, 205-655-6050 or visit the office in Palmer Hall, for specific student aid options.
  • Student loan terms, repayment schedules, and repayment necessity
  • Conditions and terms of Federal Work Study student employees 
  • Student Loan Exit Counseling information the school provides and collect

2.   Institutional Information

  • Facilities and Services Available to Students with Disabilities
  • Cost of Attendance
  • Net Price Calculator Undergraduate Tuition and Fees
  • Requirements for Withdrawal
  • Return of Title IV Financial Aid
  • Educational  Programs, Instructional Facilities, and Faculty
  • Transfer of Credits Policies and Articulation Agreements

3.   Copyright Infringement Policies and Sanctions

  • See the Student Code of Conduct for institutional policies related to unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, including disciplinary actions that are taken against students who engage in illegal downloading or unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials using the institution’s information technology system.
  • UM Use of Information Resources Policy www.montevallo.edu/Policy-01.010UseofInformationResources.pdf
  • Help avoiding plagiarism and copyright violations may be found at www.montevallo.edu/umplagiarismpolicy/
  • Summary of Civil and Criminal Penalties for Violation of Federal Copyright Laws - Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement. Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For “willful” infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys’ fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505. Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense. For more information, please see the website of the U.S. Copyright Office.

4.   Required disclosures to prospective and enrolled students to all schools where program is designed to be offered by another entity

  • Not Applicable - none offered

5.   School and Program Accreditation, Approval, or Licensure

  • The University of Montevallo is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Bachelor’s, Master’s and Educational Specialist degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Montevallo.
  • The Alabama Commission on Higher Education is the coordinating board for higher education for the State of Alabama. The Commission exercises no governing and limited regulatory authority over the University. The Commission may be contacted at P. O. Box 302000, Montgomery, AL, 36130-2000, (334) 242-1998, http://ache.edu.
  • Student Complaint Process - Students wishing to submit a complaint about the University of Montevallo should contact: Dr. Tammi S. Dahle, Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs/Dean of Students, University of Montevallo, Station 6020, Montevallo, AL  35115, dahlet@montevallo.edu, (205) 665-6020.

6.   Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations 

Student Aid eligibility might be suspended if a student is convicted of a drug offense while receiving Federal Student Aid (grants, loans, or work-study). When a student completes the FAFSA, he or she will be asked whether they had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while they were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, the student will be provided a worksheet to help them determine whether the conviction affects their eligibility for federal student aid.

If eligibility for federal student aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, it can be regained by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. Students who regain eligibility during the award year, should notify their financial aid office immediately so they can get any aid they’re eligible for.

If convicted of a drug-related offense after submitting the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility. For more information see the Federal Student Aid website.  

7.   Vaccination Policy - Visit Student Health Services for more information.

8.   The College Navigator website provides consumer information about the University of Montevallo published by the U. S. Department of Education as well as a link to the University website. The following information can also be found on the University website:

  • Student activities offered by the school
  • Services offered by the school for individuals with disabilities 
  • Career and placement services offered to students during and after enrollment
  • Policies of the school related to transfer of credit from other schools

9.   Student Body Diversity - See the College Navigator website.

10. Net Price Calculator - See the Net Price Calculator on the University of Montevallo website

11. Textbook Information (Internet Course Schedule). Textbook cost and information can be found at the Barnes and Noble Website.

12. Disbursement of Federal Student Aid funds to students for books and supplies. If a student’s aid is greater than their charges, there will be an estimated credit balance. Students with an estimated credit balance will be eligible to purchase books and supplies at the campus bookstore shortly before classes start each semester. The amount allowed will be capped at the amount of the estimated credit balance, not to exceed $1,000. Students wanting to receive a credit balance to purchase books and supplies from another source should contact, the Cashiers Office at:

 Station 6065
 Montevallo, AL 35115
(205) 665-6065

13. Teacher Preparation Programs for Initial Certification or Licensure - Contact the College of Education and Human Development at (205) 665-6360  

14. Voter Registration - you may register to vote in the courthouse of your home county or obtain a voter registration form and information at the Student Life Office in Farmer Hall, Top Floor, and Disability Support Services office in Main Hall, Rear, and Lower Level, or refer to the Alabama Secretary of State website.      

15. Constitution Day - The University of Montevallo holds an annual Constitution Day commemoration for students and anyone else on, or near September 17th.

16. Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program - The unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on the school’s property or as a part of any of the school’s activities is strictly prohibited and the University will impose sanctions for violations. For more information regarding school, Federal, state, and local sanctions, descriptions of health risks, and available counseling, treatment, rehabilitation, or re-entry programs visit the UM website. In addition, for a copy of the University’s biennial review of its program contact Dr. Tammi S. Dahle, University of Montevallo, Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs/Dean of Students, Station 6020, Montevallo, AL 35115, (205) 665-6020, or email dahlet@montevallo.edu.

17. Completion/Graduation and Transfer-out Rates for Students Receiving Athletically Related Student Aid - See the University of Montevallo Compliance webpage for more information. 

18. Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act) - See the Equity in Athletics Data web page published by the U. S. Department of Education.

19. Completion/Graduation and Transfer-out Rates - This information is available on the College Navigator website.

20. Placement in Employment - The University does not calculate placement rates for graduates. However the University operates a Career Development Center. More information can be found on its website.

21. Types of Graduate and Professional Education in Which the University’s Graduates Enroll - The University’s undergraduate programs help qualify graduates for admission to many graduate and professional programs. For more information see the specific undergraduate program you are interested in. Additional information is available by contacting the specific department chairs. Contact information is available on the Web or in this Bulletin.

22. Retention Rates of degree seeking first-time, undergraduate students - This information is available on the College Navigator website.

23. Campus Security Report and the Fire Safety Report - For a combined copy of the Campus Security and Fire Safety Report click on the link below. For a paper copy contact Chief Tim Alexander Police Department, Station 6155, Montevallo, AL 35115 or call (205) 665-6155 or email umpolice@montevallo.edu. You may also see the campus crime and fire statistics at https://ope.ed.gov/campussafety/#/.

24. FERPA or Family Educational Rights and Privacy - See the University of Montevallo webpage for more information. 

25. Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members -The University does not participate in this program.

26. State Grant Assistance Availability - Students should apply for any state student aid. Alabama residents may be eligible for the Alabama Student Assistance Program. For more information on state grants visit: www2.ed.gov/about/contacts/state/index.html.   

27. Federal Student Loan Information - The University may offer you Federal loans as part of your school’s financial aid offer. A loan is money you borrow and must pay back with interest. For more information on student loans visit the UM Student Aid Office or check out studentloans.gov.

28. Sharing of student and/or parent loan information with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) -  Personal and student loan information of students, and/or parent borrowers will be submitted to the NSLDS by the University and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the system. Students or parents may check their personal student loan information at the NSLDS website

29. Entrance Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers - First time borrowers of a Federal Direct Student Loan must complete Entrance Counseling to receive comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower’s responsibilities. This must be completed on the studentloans.gov website.

30. Exit Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers - The University provides student borrowers who graduate, leave, or drop below half-time enrollment instructions to receive invaluable student loan repayment information. Student borrowers must complete this counseling on the studentloans.gov website.

31. Private Education Loan Disclosures - Private Loans are not Federal Student or Parent Plus Loans. We encourage borrowers to complete the FAFSA and apply for Federal Student Aid. Borrowers may qualify for Federal Student Loans (and possibly grants or work programs) that may be more favorable than the provisions of private education loans. We will be happy to discuss the availability of federal, state, and institutional student aid and help you apply. The University participates in no private education lender preferred arrangements and recommends no private lenders.

32. Private Education Loan Self Certification Form - Students may request this form by visiting the UM Student Aid Office in Palmer Hall or by calling (205) 665-6050 or emailing finaid@montevallo.edu.

33. Code of Conduct - The University of Montevallo Student Aid Code of Conduct may be found on the UM web page.         

34. Private Education Loans and Preferred Lender Arrangements - The University has no preferred lender list and recommends no particular private lender.