Mar 04, 2024  
2015-2016 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2015-2016 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission and Financial Information


    Financial Information


Greg Embry, Director of Admissions
Palmer Hall, Station 6030
telephone: (205) 665-6030
fax: (205) 665-6032

Applications for undergraduate admission are available online or in hard-copy format and may be accessed by visiting the Admissions web page or by contacting the Office of Admissions at the following:

(205) 665-6030



Office of Admissions
Palmer Hall, Station 6030
University of Montevallo
Montevallo, AL 35115-6000

Application Process

Freshman applications should be submitted after completion of the junior year in high school. Transfer students should apply as soon as an interest in Montevallo is developed. A $30 non-refundable fee must be submitted with the application. In addition, applicants must make arrangements for the appropriate credentials (test scores, transcripts, and other relevant information) to be forwarded to the Office of Admissions. Early admission ensures preferred housing assignments and consideration for most University scholarships.

Montevallo welcomes applications from those whose experience, interests, and academic preparation indicate chances for success in the University curriculum. The Office of Admissions reviews all undergraduate applications using a rolling decision format, with students receiving notice of the decision soon after the file is complete.

Freshman Admission

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman should provide the following records:

  1. High school transcript

A high school graduate seeking to enter the University as a freshman must provide an official secondary school transcript and an official ACT or SAT score report. The transcript must indicate a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade-point average and successful completion of a minimum of 16 academic or college-preparatory credits from 9th through 12th grades. The 16 academic units are as follows:


Units required


Four units


Two units from among the following: algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry, advanced mathematics, math analysis, calculus


Two units from among the following: physical science, biology, chemistry, geology, physics

social studies

Four units from among the following: geography, history, psychology, sociology, government, economics


Four or more units from foreign languages or any subjects listed above, which exceed minimum requirements

Non-Graduates of High School. Admission may be granted to non-graduates of high school who are at least 18 years of age and have been out of high school for a minimum of one year. Applicants must score at least 500 on the General Educational Development (GED) Test and submit acceptable ACT or SAT scores as outlined in the test-score report section that follows.

  1. Test-score report

Freshman applicants who meet the 2.5 cumulative GPA requirement and have a minimum composite ACT score of 20 (950 on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are typically offered admission. Applicants earning an ACT composite score of 18 or 19 (870 and higher on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are considered for regular admission on the basis of a scale of increasing grade point average. The writing portion of either the ACT or SAT is not required. For more information, contact one or both testing services:

For the ACT:

ACT East Region Office
Phone: (404) 231-1952
Montevallo’s test code: 001004

For the SAT:

College Board
Southern Regional Office
Phone: (866) 392-4088
Montevallo’s test code: 001004

Medical Report

Upon admission to the University, entering students must submit the Student’s Medical History form, which is mailed with the acceptance packet. Thereafter, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Home-Schooled Students

The University of Montevallo welcomes home-schooled students and recognizes the unique academic experiences these students bring to Montevallo’s academic environment. The University has a growing community of home-schooled students who thrive in the UM environment.

Home schooled high-school students are reviewed for admission and for academic scholarships following the same criteria utilized for students who attend public and private high schools. The official high-school transcript should contain the titles of courses in each subject area beginning with grade nine, course grades, overall GPA on a 4.0 scale, course grading scale, and the signature and contact information of the school administrator. The teaching credentials of the home-school teacher should be included if possible. The official transcript will be reviewed along with the student’s standardized test score (ACT or SAT).

Early Enrollment for Freshmen

Exceedingly able and mature students may apply for admission and enroll in University courses in lieu of completing their senior year of high school. Minimum requirements include:

  • completion of the junior year (11th grade) in high school with a GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
  • achievement of an ACT composite score or SAT score in at least the 90th percentile of the range for entering freshmen at the University;
  • recommendations from school officials and other persons designated by the director of admissions; and
  • a personal interview.

Students submitting an application under this provision should register for either the ACT or the SAT in the spring of the junior year and should contact the director of admissions before completion of the junior year.

Advanced Placement Program, CLEP, IB, and AICE Program Credit for Freshmen

The University grants credit and/or advanced standing based on the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), subjects completed under the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board, subjects completed through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, and subjects completed under the Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE). UM will award general core credit through AICE, IB, and AP examinations. Credit will be reviewed upon acceptance to the University and for purposes of admission into the UM Honors Program. Credit will be reviewed and determined by the University registrar and the appropriate department chair after the completion of the fall semester of the student’s senior year of high school. Official scores must be received directly from the College Board, International Baccalaureate, and/or Cambridge International Examinations in order for credit to be reviewed and awarded. Inquiries should be directed to the Office of Admissions.

Non-Academic Credit

The University of Montevallo does not award academic credit for non-academic pursuits such as continuing education courses, “life experience,” or any other course work taken on a non-credit basis.


International Students

The University welcomes qualified freshmen or transfer students from other countries. The following credentials are needed in order that the University may conduct a review for admission:

  • A completed application for admission with the required application fee;
  • For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. The University requires a score of 525 or better on the written TOEFL, a score of more than 193 on the computer-based exam, or a score of at least 71 on the Internet-based TOEFL. On the IELTS, the University requires minimum overall score of 6.0, with a minimum score of 5.0 on any individual section on the academic module.
  • A complete transcript of all secondary-school study, translated into English if necessary;
  • An affidavit of financial support, indicating that sufficient funds are available to the student to pay the cost of attendance; and
  • A complete medical report by a physician, on a form provided by the University.

Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at

Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at

Note: After admission to the University, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Although federal immigration laws do not permit part-time employment for international students except in special instances, prospective students who meet the requirements previously listed are encouraged to contact the University for information regarding financial aid options.


Transfer Students

Students who seek to transfer to the University after attending another accredited college or university must satisfy all requirements for transfer admission, as follows:

  • A minimum of a cumulative C average on all college-level study attempted must have been attained. This is a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better based on a 4.0 scale. Quality points from study previously attempted at Montevallo are not included in a transfer application review.
  • A transfer applicant must be a student in good standing. Neither probation nor suspension can be in effect at the previous or current college or university attended.
  • Transcripts of all previous study attempted must be submitted and evaluated before an application review can be conducted. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for transcripts to be mailed to the University. All academic records must be received at least seven working days prior to the intended date of enrollment.
  • Collegiate work from post-secondary institutions not accredited nor in candidacy status for accreditation by a regional accrediting association is not transferable to the University of Montevallo.
  • Students who have completed less than 24 semester hours (or 36 quarter hours) of college-level study must also submit a secondary-school transcript and either an ACT or SAT score report and must satisfy all requirements for freshman admission.
  • A maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) may be transferred for credit from either a community or junior college.

Medical Report

Upon admission to the University, entering transfer students must submit the Student’s Medical History form, which is mailed with the acceptance packet. Thereafter, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Two-Year Colleges in Alabama

The University maintains a parallel transfer agreement with two-year colleges in Alabama that hold regional liberal-arts transfer accreditation. A student who earns an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree at a qualified institution will be admitted to Montevallo and credited with a maximum of 64 semester hours (or 96 quarter hours) of study. This agreement does not guarantee admission to a particular degree program.

Students transferring from accredited Alabama two-year colleges may complete the University of Montevallo general education requirements by completing courses outlined in the Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee (AGSC) Transfer Guide. The University transfer website assists transfer students with course selection by listing the most-appropriate sequence of courses for each major. For further information regarding transfer guides, contact the Office of Admissions.


Special-Category Admission

High school admission

College preparatory students who have completed the junior year (11th grade) in high school and have attained a cumulative 3.0 or better GPA may, with permission from the appropriate school official, enroll for one credit course (a maximum of 4 semester hours) during the Summer Session following the junior year or during the Fall Semester and/or Spring Semester of the senior year (12th grade). Students planning continued enrollment as freshmen after graduation must submit an application, school transcript, ACT or SAT score report, and meet unconditional admission requirements.

College Ahead

College Ahead is a dual-enrollment partnership between the University of Montevallo and the Shelby County School System. High school seniors and juniors may participate with the approval of their principals. Students are also encouraged to enroll in summer courses taught on the UM campus. Details of the College Ahead program may be found on the University’s website or by calling the Associate Director of Admissions at 665-6029.

Temporary Admission

Temporary student admission is a non-degree category. Students who have graduated from high school two or more years prior to the intended date of enrollment may register for courses on either a credit or an audit (space available) basis.

Transient Admission

A student in good standing at an accredited college or university may be admitted on a transient (visiting) basis. To be considered, an application must be submitted with a letter of good academic standing from the current or previous college or university. Transient admission may be approved for either a semester or a Summer Session.


Readmission to the University

Students who have been absent one semester (Fall or Spring) or more must apply for readmission, and those who have not been in attendance for four or more years must meet the requirements of the University Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission.

Academic Clemency

After at least a three-calendar-year enrollment lapse from higher education, applicants for undergraduate admission or readmission may petition the University to disregard, for the purpose of admission or re-admission, a maximum of three entire consecutive semesters (or four entire consecutive quarters) of academic work previously taken at the University and/or other colleges or universities. Any combination of consecutive summer terms will be considered together as one semester. Other interim terms will be considered together as one semester with the winter or spring term immediately following.

  • The petition, specifying the term(s) to be disregarded, shall be directed to the Admissions Office as part of the application for admission or readmission.
  • If the petition satisfies all conditions for clemency, grades and credits for all courses (whether passed or failed) shall be disregarded for the specified term(s).
  • Disregarded work shall not be considered in determining eligibility for admission or readmission to the University or in determining grade point averages for academic progress, graduation, and honors, unless required by regulations governing specific organizations or programs.
  • Disregarded work shall remain on the transcript with appropriate notation.
  • Academic clemency may be granted to a student only once and may not be granted for previously conferred degrees.


Financial Information

Cashier’s Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6065
Phone: (205) 665-6065


Full-time or part-time

A semester schedule of 12 credit hours or more is full-time. A semester schedule of 11 credit hours or fewer is part-time.

Alabama residency for tuition purposes

For the purpose of determining tuition, applicants are classified as in-state (Alabama) or out-of-state (non-Alabama) students. Information concerning residency reclassification can be located on the University’s website.

The following individuals shall be charged the in-state/in-district rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  •  Anyone using transferred Post - 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b) (9)) who lives in the State of Alabama while attending a school located in the State of Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school.  The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.

Rate Schedule

To view the current rate schedule and fees for undergraduate study at the University of Montevallo, visit the University’s website.

Other Fees

Application for admission
A fee of $30 must be attached or enclosed with the application for admission. The check or money order is to be made out to the University of Montevallo, payable in U.S. funds. If the application is completed on the web, the fee can be paid on-line using a credit/debit card.

Audit payment
The audit fee is $25 per credit hour. Audit fees are waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Audit registration is in the Registrar’s Office, on or after the first day of class, even when the fee is waived.

Continuing Education
Charges for non-credit Continuing Education courses are not considered as tuition. Information on payment will be provided upon registration for any Continuing Education activity.

Foreign checks fee
A $15 fee will be charged for processing checks drawn on foreign banks.

Housing fees
Both undergraduate and graduate students in residence halls pay an amount that includes Internet, utilities, a 24-hour movie channel, and basic cable television. Fees for private rooms are additional. Private-room reservations cannot be guaranteed until 5 p.m. on the first day of classes. The private-room fee will be refunded, or a credit will be given, if the resident does not receive a private room.

When it is necessary for a student enrolled in an internship or other similar experience to live away from campus, adjustments are made in charges for room and board.

Students who withdraw from housing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of the housing portion of any preregistration payment received for the term.

ID cards
Any student who enrolls at Montevallo is required to have a student identification card. Students are provided with information as to the time and place to be photographed for original and replacement cards. The original identification card is provided at no cost. Replacements for lost or damaged cards cost $10 each. If a student is not enrolled in classes, the ID card will cease to function.

Returned checks
If a check received by the University fails to clear the bank, the person who presented the check to the University will be charged $35. If the returned check was presented on behalf of a student, the student’s account will reflect all charges and fees. Thereafter, should an individual have checks that fail to clear the bank, the University reserves the right to not accept personal checks and may require cash payments.

Room deposit
A $100 room deposit must be submitted at the time of application for on-campus housing. The deposit, less any debts or costs for damages to the room, will be refunded in accordance with the following stipulations.

At the conclusion of the final semester or summer term in the residence hall, the student must complete a room deposit refund request and submit it to a hall staff member upon checkout. Students may cancel a room reservation and receive a full refund, provided that the cancellation is submitted in writing, by July 15 for Fall Semester, December 1 for Spring Semester, or May 5 for Summer Session, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life (West Main Hall, Station 6235). Students who cancel their reservations in writing after these dates and before the opening date for the residence halls receive a 50 percent refund. Students who cancel a room reservation or withdraw from the University after the opening date for the residence halls forfeit the deposit. Any exception requires approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

A student who is denied admission to the University shall be eligible to receive a full refund of the room deposit. Room deposits not claimed within one year after a student leaves the residence halls shall revert to the University.

Vehicle registration

All students, staff, and faculty who operate a motor vehicle on the University campus must register each year, secure a permit, and display it as directed. Student registration of a vehicle costs $35 each year. Failure to comply with guidelines may result in penalty to the vehicle operator.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges is due in advance or by 5 p.m. on the first day of classes. Payment for preregistration is due as announced during the preregistration period. Refer to the University Calendar  in this Bulletin.

The University accepts cash, personal checks, and most credit cards (VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, American Express®) for payments. Payment can also be made by accessing the student account on the web.

Partial Payment Plan

For tuition, fees, room and board, the University of Montevallo offers a payment plan option administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. The payment plan option, available to all students during the Fall and Spring semesters, is a convenient alternative to lump-sum payments. It features monthly payments, no interest charges, low-cost enrollment ($40 non-refundable fee per semester), and automatic payments on scheduled dates after enrollment. Please consult the Cashier’s website through the University of Montevallo’s website for more detailed information.

During each enrollment period, students may preregister for subsequent study if the current term is paid in full. Payment must be received on or before the announced preregistration deadline dates in order to complete registration and confirm the course schedule. Students who do not comply with payment due dates will be charged a $50 late payment fee. If payment is not received by the end of the first week of class, the student’s schedule will be dropped. Students withdrawing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of any preregistration payment made for the term.


Course Drops

A student who drops a course will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent through the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made for a class dropped after the last day on which classes may be added. No adjustment will be made when a class is changed from credit to audit..

Official Withdrawal

A student who officially withdraws from enrollment at the University will have a tuition adjustment as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 90%
Through the fourth week 50%
Through the eighth week 25%
Ninth and subsequent weeks 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board will be adjusted on a pro rata basis in units of one week. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

May Term

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the second day 75%
Through the third day 50%
Through the fourth day 25%
Fifth and subsequent days 0%

Full Summer Term (May, Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

Through the second day 100%
Through the second week 75%
Through the third week 50%
Through the fourth week 25%
Fifth and subsequent weeks 0%

Summer I & Summer II

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the third day 75%
Through the fourth day 50%
Through the fifth day 25%
Sixth and subsequent days 0%

Combined Summer Term (Summer I & II)

Tuition credit

First day 100%
Through the fourth day 75%
Through the tenth day 50%
Through the twelfth day 25%
Thirteenth and subsequent days 0%

Room and board credit
Room and board is charged separately for May Term, Summer I, and Summer II and will be adjusted for withdrawing on the appropriate pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week.


Students receiving Title IV aid are strongly urged to contact the Office of Student Financial Services prior to making a decision to withdraw. The student may be obligated to repay some portion of the aid to the Department of Education, as well as some portion of their student account, and may become ineligible for further Title IV assistance.

Refunds for Drop or Official Withdrawal

The University and federal financial aid funding agencies receive prorated shares of the refund, according to the Federal Refund and Repayment Policy. If a credit balance remains after the financial aid programs have been repaid, this amount is refunded to the student at the campus address (for course withdrawal or drop) or at the permanent address (for semester withdrawal). Students may elect to sign up for Direct Deposit.

Refunds for Withdrawal for Extenuating Circumstances

Prior to the beginning of an academic term and through the first two days of the Fall and Spring semesters, a student who never attended classes may withdraw without reason and receive a 100 percent tuition refund. On the third day through the second week of the Fall and Spring semesters, a student who is approved for a Withdrawal for Extenuating Circumstances will receive a 90 percent tuition refund minus required fees and any individual fees incurred, such as parking fines, judicial fines, etc. From the end of the second week through the end of the fourth week of the semester, a student who is approved for a Withdrawal for Extenuating Circumstances will receive a 75 percent refund minus required fees. After the end of the fourth week of the semester, established policies for refunds will apply, regardless of the reason for the withdrawal. A prorated schedule of dates for refunds applies to summer and other compressed academic terms.

If a student has received a financial aid disbursement and subsequently withdraws from classes and requests a refund, the student may have to repay the University for financial aid that has already been disbursed.


Financial Aid

Bob Walker, Director of Student Financial Services
Palmer Hall, Station 6050
Phone: (205) 665-6050
Fax: (205) 665-6047

Communication with Students

The primary communication with students is through forUM e-mail and Banner Self Service. Students are urged to check forUM e-mail and Self Service weekly to monitor requests for additional documentation, notice of awards, and other vital information. Students accept/decline aid offers on Self Service.

Basic Information

Students and prospective students are encouraged to visit the University’s website to obtain comprehensive information concerning application procedures, priority dates, available federal aid programs, and a list of scholarships. Self Service provides detailed information specific to an individual student.

To apply for financial aid, a student must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), preferably by March 1 annually. Students are encouraged to file electronically at In order to be considered for federal student aid, students must be unconditionally admitted into a degree-seeking program.

Enrollment Status

Unless otherwise stated, all aid is based on enrollment as a full-time student, which is defined as a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate and a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students. To receive federal loans, students must be enrolled at least half time. Half time for undergraduates is a minimum of six (6) credit hours, and half time for graduate students is a minimum of five (5) credit hours. If a student drops below full-time, certain types of aid may be cancelled or reduced. A student should notify the Office of Student Financial Services if he/she does not enroll as a full-time student.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

A student receiving financial assistance must maintain minimum academic progress toward completion of a degree or certificate. The following standards will prevail in determining minimum academic progress.

Eligibility for federal Title IV student financial assistance (such as federal loans) is evaluated as part of the initial application process and again at the end of each term. In this evaluation process, all grades of W (Withdrawn), I (Incomplete), and IP (In Progress) will be counted as hours attempted and not passed. Determination of eligibility will be based on an historical evaluation of all hours attempted, as well as the student’s grade point average. All hours accepted for transfer credit by the University will be included among those evaluated to determine eligibility.

To continue to receive financial aid, undergraduates must meet the following minimum standards:

Credit hours completed Minimum GPA
0-29 1.50
30-59 1.70
60-89 1.90
90+ 2.0

Several scholarships require a higher minimum GPA than those required for minimum academic progress.

Students who are suspended from the University for academic reasons are not considered to be making minimum academic progress.

Students must average passing 67 percent of all hours attempted. Students cannot receive federal aid after they have attempted more than 150 percent of the hours required for completion of their degree.

A student who does not meet the requirements for minimum academic progress may choose to appeal to the Office of Student Financial Services for an exception on the grounds that mitigating circumstances contributed to his or her failure to meet standards. Such appeals must be submitted on the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form that is available in the Office of Student Financial Services. The appeal should contain documentation as appropriate to support the claim of mitigating circumstances. In some cases, the student is required to provide an academic plan from the Dean/Adviser. Decisions made by the Office of Student Financial Services relative to appeals will be sent to the student through the student’s forUM e-mail and will note any conditions placed upon the student for continued eligibility.

Consequences of Withdrawal

Students who are receiving any form of federal financial aid and withdraw from the University of Montevallo, either officially or unofficially, should be aware that they may be required to repay some or all of the federal funds received.

The U.S. Department of Education has determined that a student earns a percentage of the federal financial aid awarded based on the percentage of the term attended. Students who attend beyond the 60-percent point of the term are considered to have earned 100 percent of the federal aid awarded.

Federal regulations require institutions to monitor unofficial withdrawals when a student “drops out” without officially withdrawing. When a student fails all courses attempted, the University must determine if the student actually attended class and earned the grade or if the student stopped attending. A last date of attendance is submitted by faculty in order to determine whether or not a student completed the course. Students who unofficially withdraw are notified and a portion of the federal aid is returned to the federal program(s). Students are strongly advised to officially withdraw rather than “drop out” of school if attendance must cease due to unforeseen circumstances. To officially withdraw students must contact the Registrar’s Office.

In addition, withdrawing from the University affects the Satisfactory Academic Progress standard and may affect the future receipt of federal aid.

Prior to withdrawing or otherwise ceasing to attend classes, students should contact the Office of Student Financial Services to determine the potential impact of the withdrawal. To officially withdraw, students must contact the Registrar’s Office.


Scholarships, grants, and fellowships are considered taxable income if the amount exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies and equipment. The student is responsible for retaining award letters and other documentation for tax-reporting purposes.

Part-Time Employment

Federal Work Study may be awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA by March 1. This provides students with an opportunity to earn wages while working on campus. For a listing of job opportunities, contact the Career Development Center. For more details regarding Federal Work Study, visit the University’s website. Some jobs may be paid through individual departments. Those positions are classified as “jobship” rather than federal work study.


The University offers numerous scholarships likely to be of interest to high-achieving incoming first-year students. There are also scholarships specifically designated for high-achieving transfer students. Information on scholarship opportunities can be found on the University’s website.


The University’s website contains detailed information regarding loans.

The Federal Perkins Loan is awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA by March 1, as long as funds are available.

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan is awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA. Additional information is available on the University’s website.

Details such as the rights and responsibilities and terms of repayment for the Federal Perkins Loan and the Federal Direct Loan will be provided when the student signs the promissory note and completes entrance counseling. PLUS loans are also available for parents of dependent students.


Federal Pell Grants

Awards are based on the ability of the student’s family to contribute to his or her education, based on information about the family’s income and assets. Apply by completing the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants

Awards for FSEOG are based on the same criteria as Pell Grants. File the FAFSA by March 1 to be considered.


Veterans’ Benefits

Amanda Fox, Coordinator of Veterans Affairs
Palmer Hall, Station 6035
telephone: (205) 665-6035
fax: (205) 665-6042

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

VA website:
National Call Center for Veterans’ Education Benefits:
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Veterans Educational Assistance Programs

  • Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33: Yellow Ribbon)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • The Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit Act


Students interested in the Alabama G.I. and Dependents Education Benefit program should contact their county Veterans Affairs Office or the Student Financial Services Office at the University.

All degree programs at the University of Montevallo are currently approved by the State Approving Agency. The Coordinator of Veterans Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans and their dependents, assisting in obtaining benefits from the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs. This service is located in the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall.

The Federal Department of Veterans’ Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the VA. A completed VA Request for Certification form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office for each academic year. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office and on the University’s website.