May 23, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin 
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Admission


Graduate Council will be responsible for establishing general institutional requirements (both quantitative and qualitative) for admission, retention, and completion. Admission and completion criteria for individual graduate programs (both quantitative and qualitative), especially as they differ from general institutional criteria for admission, retention, and completion, are established by program faculty. 

Application and Admission

See the departmental sections of this Bulletin for more-specific information. 

The University of Montevallo welcomes applications from all individuals whose experiences, interests, and academic preparation indicate potential for success in one of the graduate programs. Forms for application and related information are available on the University’s Admissions + Aid webpage. Applications for the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology are to be submitted through CSDCAS at

When an individual applies to a graduate program, a significant part of the admissions decision involves an estimate of whether the applicant can perform satisfactorily at the graduate level in the chose discipline. Decisions on admission to specific graduate programs are made by the appropriate department and the dean of the college  through an assessment of admission criteria listed in this Bulletin  and the applicant’s academic and professional history.

There is a non-refundable fee required for the Graduate Application. Students may submit the Application for Graduate Study and the application fee online. Students, may submit the graduate application online and make payment online as well. Completed graduation applications should be received by April 15 for Summer admission, July 15 for fall admission, and November 15 for Spring admission. Please note: These dates reflect priority deadlines. Applicants may submit materials after the deadline with the understanding that submitting materials after the priority deadline does not guarantee consideration for admission for the following term. These deadlines may differ for capped and cohort programs. See individual department sections for possible differences.

Transcript and Previous Degree Requirements

Students applying for a master’s degree program must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Students applying for an Ed.S. program must hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Collegiate work from unaccredited post-secondary institutions (or institutions that are not in candidacy status for accreditation) is not transferable to the University of Montevallo.Students who have earned an undergraduate degree from an institution not regionally accredited but who have subsequently earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution may appeal to the dean of the appropriate college for special consideration. One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended must be submitted to the University. Even though credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of another institution, it is still necessary to submit all transcripts. Such transcripts must include evidence of graduation with a degree posted.

Applicants who have yet to complete an undergraduate degree must submit a final transcript with a degree posted before the beginning their first semester of graduate coursework. Students may not take graduate coursework without a final transcript with the University unless permission is granted as outlined in the Special Admissions section below.

Credit may not be given for graduate coursework taken by a student who has not been admitted officially to the graduate program at the University of Montevallo.

A maximum of six (6) semester hours (10 quarter hours) of previously completed graduate work may be requested by the applicant during the application and admission process. Such credit must have been earned at a regionally accredited institution and within six years prior to the granting of the degree at the University of Montevallo. No course may be transferred with a grade lower than B or with a grade of pass/fail.Students who have been enrolled in but not completed similar graduate programs at other institutions must have left in good standing in order to be admitted to the University of Montevallo graduate program.

Graduate Standing

Students who been enrolled in but not completed similar graduate programs at other institutions must have left in good standing in order to be admitted to the University’s graduate programs. Exception may be made by the appropriate college’s Reinstatement Committee if there have been mitigating circumstances. The Reinstatement Committee for each college would include relevant committee members that would decide on re-admission. the Registrar should also be consulted.

General Test Score Requirements

Some programs require a satisfactory, official score on a prescribed standardized examination. See each program listed in this Bulletin for specific requirements. The test must have been taken within 5 years of the date of application for graduate study or according to the guidelines of specific external accreditation or certification entities

Miller Analogies Test

The MAT is given through the College of Education and Human Development. Contact the Graduate Studies office at 205 665-6380 to make an appointment or for more information.

Other Graduate/Standardized Tests

To learn more about additional graduate admissions tests, please visit the following sites for more information:

Special Admissions

Conditional Admissions

Select graduate programs may offer conditional admission to an applicant who may not meet the following stated criteria for unconditional admission:

  • a satisfactory test score on a required admission examination(s),
  • the required pre-requisite GPA,
  • other specific departmental admission requirements.

All graduate programs do not offer conditional admission for all criteria listed above. A conditionally admitted student will be allowed to take no more than one semester of graduate coursework. Graduate credit toward a degree at the University of Montevallo will not be awarded until the requirements for unconditional admission have been met. No student who has been admitted conditionally will be allowed to register after attempting one semester of graduate coursework.

Non-Degree/Enrichment Status

Students taking courses for personal enrichment or to comply with certification requirements may be allowed to enroll with non-degree/enrichment status. If these students later apply for admission to a graduate program, credit for the course(s) taken will be evaluated on an individual course basis. There is no guarantee that coursework taken as a non-degree seeking student will be counted toward a UM degree program. Students who desire non-degree/enrichment status must submit an official transcript with a degree posted. 

Special Status

Special-status admission may be granted to a student under some circumstances. Special-status admission may be granted for no more than three (3) graduate hours and for no more than one term, based on a review of the student’s transcript (unofficial or official). A special-status student may register only on the day of registration. Students admitted by special status must complete their application and be admitted into a program in order to continue with graduate coursework.

Students Who Have Not Completed a Degree

Students who are in the last semester of a pre-requisite (undergraduate or masters) degree program may be granted unconditional admission to a University of Montevallo graduate degree program provided they submit a transcript that shows sufficient progress toward the completion of the pre-requisite degree program. All other admission criteria must be met and the student should submit an official transcript with the degree posted prior to beginning classes.

UM’s Accelerated Master’s Option

UM undergraduate students who are their senior year and have met any necessary undergraduate programmatic requirements may take up to six (6) hours of graduate credit at the University of Montevallo with permission of the Registrar and the Reinstatement Committee in the college housing the graduate program they wish to enter. Permission is granted to a student provided he/she has sufficient content background to indicate success at the graduate level. The student must apply and be accepted to the graduate program before taking graduate courses. Course credit cannot be counted toward the undergraduate degree at the University of Montevallo.

Second Master’s Degree

A second master’s degree may be earned with a minimum of 18 semester hours of additional credit beyond the first master’s degree. Students seeking a second master’s degree must meet the entrance requirements for the program they wish to enter unless the appropriate college Reinstatement Committee agrees that those requirements or their equivalent were met in the first master’s degree. Admission requirements for the second degree will be approved by college Reinstatement Committee and the Registrar.

Readmission to the University

Students who have been admitted to or attended UM but have not enrolled in classes for two or more years must apply for readmission. Readmitted students may be required to meet the requirements of the University Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission. This is with exception for students pursuing the Master of Science in Speech Pathology who must apply for readmissions after an absence of one semester or more. The college Reinstatement Committee should evaluate readmissions in consultation with the Registrar.

International Student Admission

The University of Montevallo welcomes qualified applicants from other countries. Information pertaining to international student admissions is available on the University’s website. It is recommended that international students begin the application process at least three (3) months prior to the posted application deadline.

In addition to meeting the general admission requirements, international students are required to submit the following original credentials:

  1. A completed application for admission with the required application fee;
  2. One (1) official college transcript from each foreign institution, evaluated by World Education Services, Lisano International, Josef Silney and Associates, Inc., or other UM-recognized agency. The academic department chair determines course equivalency.
  3. An affidavit of financial support indicating that sufficient funds are available to the student to pay the cost of attendance. There is no financial aid program for international students at the University, nor do immigration laws permit part-time employment except in special cases.
  4. For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) is required. Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at Students may find more information regarding the PTE at pearsonpte.comThe score requirements are as follows:
    • TOEFL (written) - score of at least 535 
    • TOEFL (computer-based) - score of at least 193 
    • TOEFL (Internet-based) - score of at least 71
    • IELTS - overall score of at least 6.0 with a minimum score of 5.0 on any individual section on the academic module
    • PTE - score of at least 48 
  5. A completed original International Medical Form signed by a physician. Downloadable form with instructions can be found on this web page:
  6. Tuberculosis (TB) skin or blood test, in English, dated within 12 months of class start date.
  7. Medical document, in English, showing two dates of MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella).
  8. Health Insurance Policy, see this web page for details:

Note: After admission to the University, students are expected to notify the University of any change in health status that represents a potential risk to others. Students who may need disability-related accommodations may contact Disability Support Services.

Although federal immigration laws do not permit part-time employment for international students except in special instances, prospective students who meet the requirements previously listed are encouraged to contact the University for information regarding financial aid options.

Complete international student admission information is available on the University’s website.