Dec 10, 2023  
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin 
2021-2022 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information and Services

Communication with Students

Students are urged to check UM email and Banner Self Services weekly to monitor requests for additional documentation, notices of financial aid award offers, monthly student account bills, past due notifications, and other vital information. Students will accept/decline aid award offers on Banner Self Services.

Office of Student Accounts
Palmer Hall, Second Floor
(205) 665-6065
Student Aid Office
Palmer Hall, First Floor
(205) 665-6050

Student Account and Charges

Tuition and Program Fee Rates

To view the current tuition rate schedule and program fees for graduate study at the University of Montevallo, visit the University’s website at

Other Fee Rates

Graduate Application Fee

A $30 non-refundable graduate application fee is required in order to process a graduate application. Payment should be submitted with the graduate application. Applicants for the Speech Language Pathology program will submit the application fee through the CSDCAS portal.

Audit Payment

The audit tuition is $25 per credit hour, plus semester fees. Audit tuition can be waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Audit registration is in the Registrar’s Office, on or after the first day of class, even when the tuition is waived.

Check Fees

If a check received by the University fails to clear the bank, the person who presented the check to the University will be charged $35. If the returned check was presented on behalf of a student, the student’s account will reflect a return check fees. Thereafter, should an individual have checks that fail to clear the bank, the University reserves the right not to accept personal checks and may require guaranteed funds (e.g., cash, money order, or cashier’s check).

ID Cards

Each University of Montevallo student is required to obtain an official ID card that displays the student’s photograph. The card is required to access many of the services and activities at the University. Students may apply for a UM ID card in person at the Solution Center in Carmichael Library or emailing If UM cards are lost or stolen, students will need to contact the Solution Center.  Please visit for student ID card replacement infrormation.

Health Services Fee (Optional)

UM graduate students are eligible to use Student Health Services. This is optional for graduate students if they are enrolled in classes during the semester or summer part of term in which they are seeking services. If opted in, the health fee will be charged to the students account and must be paid prior to health service appointments. For more information, contact the Office of Student Accounts at (205) 665-6065 or Student Health Services at (205) 665-6275. You may also visit for the Health Service fee amount.

Housing Fees

Both undergraduate and graduate students in residence halls pay an amount that includes internet, utilities, a 24-hour movie channel, and basic cable television. Fees for private rooms are additional. Private room reservations cannot be guaranteed until 5 p.m. on the first day of classes. The private room fee will be refunded, or a credit will be given, if the resident does not receive a private room.

When it is necessary for a student enrolled in an internship or other similar experience to live away from campus, adjustments are made in charges for room and board.

Students who withdraw from housing prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of the housing portion of any preregistration payment received for the term.

On-campus resident students will be required to sign the 9-month Housing Agreement upon checking into housing. Residents who cancel after checking in forfeit the $100 deposit, prorated monthly rent for time on campus, and pay a $500 breach-of-contract fee.

More information is available on the Housing and Residential Life web page.

Room Deposit

A $100 room deposit must be submitted at the time of application for on-campus housing. The deposit, less any debts or costs for damages to the room, will be refunded in accordance with the following stipulations.

At the conclusion of the final semester or summer term in the residence hall, the student must complete a room-deposit refund request and submit it to a hall staff member upon checkout. Students may cancel a room reservation and receive a full refund, if the cancellation is submitted in writing, to the Office of Housing and Residence Life (West Main Hall, Station 6235). The deadlines for cancellation are as follows: July 15 for Fall Semester, December 1 for Spring Semester, or May 5 for Summer Session. Students who cancel their reservations in writing after these dates and before the opening date for the residence halls receive a 50 percent refund. Students who cancel a room reservation or withdraw from the University after the opening date for the residence halls forfeit the deposit. Any exception requires approval by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.

A student who is denied admission to the University shall be eligible to receive a full refund of the room deposit. Room deposits not claimed within one year after a student leaves the residence halls shall revert to the University.

Vehicle Registration

All students, staff, and faculty who park a motor vehicle on the University campus must register their vehicle, secure a permit, and display it as directed. Students parking on campus must register their motor vehicle annually. Registration of a vehicle costs $35 each year and is charged to the student’s account. Failure to comply with guidelines may result in penalty to the vehicle operator. More information is available on the Public Safety web page.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of student accounts (tuition, fees, and other charges) are due in advance or by 5 p.m. on the first day of the term. Payment for preregistration is due as announced during the preregistration period. Refer to the University Calendar .

If a students does not comply with payment due dates, then the student’s schedule will be dropped for non-payment period. Students can view the University Calendar or contact the  Office of Student Accounts to confirm payment due dates. A hold will be placed on any student account with a balance due after payment deadline. Students withdrawing from the University prior to the first day of class will receive a total refund of out-of-pocket expenses made for the term.

Students who do not meet their first summer term required payment deadline will be dropped for non-payment for the current and subsequent summer term enrollments. For example, if a student misses a required payment for May term and is dropped from a May term class, the student will also be dropped from any registered classes in Summer I and Summer II.

The University accepts personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders and most credit cards (VISA®, MasterCard®, Discover®, and American Express®) for payments. Payment can also be made by accessing the student account on the web for a one-time payment transaction. Students also have the option during fall and spring terms to set up a partial payment according to the terms stated on

Additional information is available on the Office of Student Accounts web page.

Partial Payment Plan

For tuition, fees, room and board, the University of Montevallo offers a payment plan option administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. The payment plan option, available to all students during the Fall and Spring semesters, is a convenient alternative to lump-sum payments. It features monthly payments, no interest charges, low-cost enrollment ($40 non-refundable fee per semester), and automatic payments on scheduled dates after enrollment. Please consult the Office of Student Accounts website or for more detailed information.

Preregistration and Payment

During each enrollment period, students may preregister for subsequent study if the current term is paid in full. Any past due balance must be received on or before the announced preregistration deadline dates in order to complete registration and confirm the course schedule.

Alabama Residency for Tuition Purposes

For the purpose of determining tuition, applicants are classified as in-state (Alabama) or out-of-state (non-Alabama) students. The University of Montevallo’s Residency Guidelines are based on Alabama Code 16-64 regarding residency practices for tuition purposes at all public institutions of higher education within the state. Additional information and definitions concerning residency reclassification can be located on the Registrar’s webpage.

In addition to those students who qualify according to the University’s Residency Guidelines, the following individuals, shall be charged the in-state/in-district rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Alabama while attending a school located in Alabama (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • Anyone using educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation/Employment (VR&E), also be charged the resident rate. 
  • The policy shall be read to be amended as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. 3679(c) as amended.

Financial Effects of Schedule Adjustments

Course Drops

A student who drops a course will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent through the last day of the drop/add period as referenced in the University Calendar. No adjustment will be made for a class dropped after the last day on which classes may be added. More information is available on the Office of Student Accounts web page or by contacting the Office of Student Accounts.

Official Withdrawal

Students receiving Title IV (Federal financial aid) aid are strongly urged to contact the Student Aid Office prior to deciding to withdraw. Students may be obligated to repay a portion of the aid to the Department of Education, as well as a portion of their student account, and may become ineligible for further Title IV federal aid assistance. A student who officially withdraws from enrollment at the University will have a tuition adjustment as follows from the start date of term (this does not apply for students who are dropping courses, only students who are officially withdrawing from the semester and will no longer be enrolled):

*More withdrawal rate information is available on the Office of Student Accounts web page and more information in regards to the withdrawal policy is available on the Registrar’s Office web page.

Fall and Spring Semesters Tuition credit Fee Credit Responsible Amount
Through the second day 100% 100% 0% tuition and 0% fees
Through the second week 90% 0% 10% tuition and 100% fees
Through the fourth week 50% 0% 50% tuition and 100% fees
Through the eighth week 25% 0% 75% tuition and 100% fees
Ninth and subsequent weeks 0% 0% 100% tuition and 100% fees


May Term Tuition Credit Fee Credit Responsible Amount
First day 100% 100% 0% tuition and 0% fees
Through the second day 75% 0% 25% tuition and 100% fees
Through the third day 50% 0% 50% tuition and 100% fees
Through the fourth day 25% 0% 75% tuition and 100% fees
Fifth and subsequent days 0% 0% 100% tuition and 100% fees


Full Summer Term (May, Summer I & II) Tuition Credit Fee Credit Responsible Amount
Through the second day 100% 100% 0% tuition and 0% fees
Through the second week 75% 0% 25% tuition and 100% fees
Through the third week 50% 0% 50% tuition and 100% fees
Through the fourth week 25% 0% 75% tuition and 100% fees
Fifth and subsequent weeks 0% 0% 100% tuition and 100% fees


Summer I & II Tuition Credit Fee Credit Responsible Amount
First day 100% 100% 0% tuition and 0% fees
Through the third day 75% 0% 25% tuition and 100% fees
Through the fourth day 50% 0% 50% tuition and 100% fees
Through the fifth day 25% 0% 75% tuition and 100% fees
Sixth and subsequent days 0% 0% 100% tuition and 100% fees


Tuition credit

Combined Summer Term (Summer I & II) Tuition Credit Fee Credit Responsible Amount
First day 100% 100% 0% tuition and 0% fees
Through the fourth day 75% 0% 25% tuition and 100% fees
Through the tenth day 50% 0% 50% tuition and 100% fees
Through the twelfth day 25% 0% 75% tuition and 100% fees
Thirteenth and subsequent days 0% 0% 100% tuition and 100% fees

Room and Board Credit

Room and board will be adjusted on a pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week.

During the Summer semester, room and board is charged separately for May Term, Summer I, and Summer II, and will be adjusted for withdrawing on the appropriate pro rata basis in units of one week in relation to the term. A partial week will be counted as one full week. You may review more details of the Housing charges or cancellation rates on the Office of Student Accounts web page.

Refunds for Drop or Official Withdrawal

The University and federal financial aid funding agencies receive prorated shares of the refund, according to the Federal Refund and Repayment Policy. If a credit balance remains after the financial aid programs have been repaid, this amount is refunded to the student address located in their banner self-service account. Students may elect to sign up for Direct Deposit. Student’s may contact the Office of Student Accounts for further direct deposit requirements or any questions in regards to refunds.

Financial Aid

Students and prospective students are encouraged to visit the Student Aid Office website to obtain comprehensive information concerning application procedures, priority dates, available federal aid programs, and a list of scholarships. Banner Self Services provides detailed information specific to the individual student.

To apply for financial aid, a student must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on October 1 for the following academic year at In order to be considered for federal student aid, students must be unconditionally admitted into a degree-seeking program.

Enrollment Status Requirement

Unless otherwise stated, all aid is based on enrollment as a full-time student, which is defined as a  minimum of nine (9) credit hours per semester for graduate students. To receive federal loans, students must be enrolled at least half-time. Half-time for graduate students is a minimum of five (5) credit hours. If a student drops below full-time, certain types of aid may be canceled or reduced. Internships of 5 hours will also be awarded on part-time status. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid

SAP for graduate students will generally be determined using the same requirements of the University’s SAP policy. In addition, graduate students academically suspended are not considered to be meeting SAP requirements and are not eligible for Federal Student Aid. Students admitted unconditionally as a regular student in a graduate degree program will be given one year to complete any undergraduate pre-requisite courses. Students may earn more than one graduate degree and receive Federal Student Aid if they are in good standing with the UM Graduate program.

Consequences of Withdrawal on Aid

Prior to withdrawing or otherwise ceasing to attend classes, students should contact the Student Aid Office to determine the potential impact of the withdrawal.  Students intending to withdraw from the semester prior to the term withdrawal deadline must submit to the Registrar’s Office a withdrawal form signed by the Student Aid Office, who will determine the effect the withdrawal may have on their aid. Withdrawal forms and policy are available on the Registrar’s Office web page.

The law specifies how the school must determine the amount of Title IV federal aid program assistance that students earn if the students withdraw from school. The graduate-level, eligible Title IV federal aid programs at the University that are covered by this law are: Direct Loans, and Direct PLUS Loans. Though aid is posted to student’s accounts at the start of each period, funds are earned as students complete the period.

If students withdraw during the payment period or period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV federal aid program assistance earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If students received (or the school received on the students’ behalves) less assistance than the amount earned, students may be able to receive those additional funds. If students receive more assistance than earned, the school and/or students must return the excess funds.

The amount of assistance that students have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if students completed 30% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the students will earn 30% of the assistance originally scheduled for receipt. Once students have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the students will earn all the assistance that was scheduled for receipt for that period.

If students did not receive all of the funds earned, the students may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, the school must get permission before it can disburse them. Students may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds to avoid additional debt. The school needs permission from students to apply the post-withdrawal disbursement to students’ accounts. If students do not give permission, funds will be canceled. However, it may be in students’ best interests to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce debt at the school or to decline the funds to avoid additional loan debt.

There are some Title IV federal aid funds that cannot be disbursed once students withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if students withdraw prior to student loan origination, federal law states the loan cannot be disbursed.

If students receive (or the school receives on students’ behalves) excess Title IV federal aid program funds that must be returned, the school must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. Institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of funds, or
  2. The entire amount of excess funds.

The school must return this amount even if it did not keep this amount of Title IV federal aid program funds.

If the school is not required to return all of the excess funds, students must return the remaining amount.

Any loan funds that students must return, must be repaid in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. Students will make scheduled payments to the holder of the loans over a period of time.

The requirements for Title IV federal aid program funds when students withdraw are separate from any refund policy that the school may have. Therefore, students may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. The school may also charge for any Title IV federal aid program funds that the school was required to return. If students do not already know the school’s refund policy, students should ask the school for a copy. The school can also provide students with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

If students have questions about their Title IV federal aid program funds, they can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at


Scholarships, grants, and assistantships are considered taxable income if the amount exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and course-related supplies and equipment. The student is responsible for retaining financial aid award offers and other documentation for tax-reporting purposes.

Types of Financial Assistance Available


The University offers Graduate scholarships and assistantships to assist students in continuing their education and professional study. Additional information about scholarships can be found on the college and program webpages.

The intent of the Dr. Terry Roberson Graduate Honors Scholarship is to support outstanding graduates of four-year institutions of higher education who are seeking a graduate degree. To be considered, a master’s degree candidate must have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and an educational specialist candidate must have a minimum gradate grade point average of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale verified by an official transcript. Candidates should also provide three letters of recommendation discussing their potential for success in graduate study and meet at least one additional application criteria as determined by the program (i.e. writing sample, MAT/GRE score, etc.). All candidates must meet these minimum requirements, but each department/college may determine additional criteria for recipients.

Final selections will be made by the department/college. Qualified students will obtain scholarship applications and renewal requests from the University of Montevallo website. All applications for the Graduate Honors Scholarship will be reviewed by a selection committee. The program/college will inform the Scholarship office of the award decision. The notification of award will be sent according to the guidelines outlined in the Scholarship Handbook. Scholarship applications should be received by the department/college by the specified due date.    


The website contains detailed information regarding loans. 

The Federal Direct Loan is awarded to eligible students who file the FAFSA. Additional information is available on the Student Aid webpage. 

Details such as the rights and responsibilities and terms of repayment for the Federal Direct Loan will be provided when the student signs the promissory note and completes entrance counseling. Federal Graduate PLUS loans are also available for graduate students.

Part-Time Employment

Montevallo provides financial assistance to students through programs funded by federal or University dollars. Of these, the Federal Work Study program (FWS) and the University Jobship Program offer part-time employment to students. During a semester, a student may work up to an average of 20 hours a week. For a listing of job opportunities, visit the Student Employment Office at

Veterans’ Educational Benefits


The Alabama and Federal Departments of Veterans’ Affairs determines eligibility for educational benefits and maintains veteran benefits applications and records. Once approved, students may use the following benefits at the University of Montevallo:

  • Alabama G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program
  • Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33 YR)

Complaint Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits

For students receiving VA education benefits, any complaint against the school should be routed through the VA GI Bill® Feedback System. The VA will then follow up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily. The VA GI Bill® Feedback System is accessed at

Office of Veteran & Military Affairs

The Coordinator of Veteran and Military Affairs serves as a liaison for veterans, service persons, and their dependents. This service is located in the GloCo building at the corner of Valley and North Boundary Streets.

Traci Crenshaw, Coordinator
GloCo Building (Corner of North Boundary and Valley)
(205) 665-6472

Alabama G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program

Students using the Alabama G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program or ANGEP should contact the UM Student Aid Office.

Student Aid Office, Palmer Hall, First Floor
(205) 665-6050

AL Department of Veteran Affairs
(334) 242-5077

Federal V.A. & DoD Education Benefits

Students using Federal GI Bill® benefits should contact the School Certifying Official. Students must be admitted and registered at the University before an enrollment certification can be submitted to the VA. A completed VA Request for Certification form must be returned to the School Certifying Official for each academic year. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office and on the UM Veteran and Military Affairs website.

Amanda Tinney Fox, Registrar & School Certifying Official
Registrar’s Office, Palmer Hall, Second Floor
(205) 665-6040

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistants at the University of Montevallo are students first and employees second. They have as their primary focus advanced study and ultimately the completion of a graduate degree. Therefore, the services they provide as graduate assistants should complement and seek to further professional development in their chosen field of study.

The selection process/criteria for graduate assistants may vary from program to program. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate degree program, remain in good academic standing, and shall not be placed on academic warning. Graduate assistants are employed on a semester basis. During their employment as a graduate assistant, students must be enrolled in at least 5 hours and be making sufficient academic progress in their degree program. Graduate assistants employed in the summer must be enrolled for a minimum of three (3) hours. Graduate assistants should work no more than twenty (20) hours per week.

Graduate assistants shall be supervised directly by a full-time faculty or professional staff member within the employing department/college. Graduate assistants’ responsibilities and pay will be defined by the employing department/supervisor with assistance from the Student Employment Office, and graduate assistants must perform satisfactorily as determined by the employing department and supervisor. The oversight of graduate assistants is the responsibility of the supervisor (department chair, staff supervisor, faculty supervisor) and the dean of the college/division head in which the graduate student is employed. Evaluations of the graduate assistant’s performance will be maintained by the Student Employment Office. A favorable evaluation is required for continued student employment.

A GA is considered a resident of the state for tuition purposes. A student who holds a graduate assistantship during the spring term is still considered a resident for the subsequent summer term even if the student does not hold an assistantship for the summer term. This means that if such a student chooses to take courses during the summer term, the student will pay in-state tuition rates.

Types of Graduate Assistants

The categories below are general for the purposes of determining the type of graduate assistant. Individual graduate assistantships should have a complete job description on file with the Student Employment Office where the description justifies the category assigned to the assistantship. If an assistantship encompasses two levels of duties, the Student Employment Office will assist the department in determining the best compensation given the job description.

Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)-A GRA does research under the supervision of a faculty member. Duties may include library research, computer programming and analysis, field work, lab experiments, scientific investigations, writing and editing material, etc.

Graduate Assistant I (GAI)-A GAI facilitates operations and management for a specific program or clinic. Duties may include managing, organizing, and/or overseeing operations for campus events/spaces, scheduling, mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, etc.

Graduate Assistant II (GAII)-A GA II does work similar to a GA I but with the need of a specialized certification OR the responsibility of the supervision of UG/Graduate student workers.