Dec 02, 2023
Students pursuing Instructional Leadership may participate in programs leading to a master’s degree (M.Ed.) with initial certification (Class A), a specialist degree (Ed.S.) and advanced certification (Class AA), or a reduced hour option for certification (Class A).
Program Admission Requirements
- A completed application available at www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/applying/
- One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended
- 2.75 undergraduate graduating GPA or 3.0 Master’s degree graduating GPA from a regionally accredited college or university
- Valid Class B certificate in teaching field or valid Class A certificate in teaching field or in another area of instructional support
- EXP form documenting three full years of acceptable education experience with at least one full year of full-time P-12 teaching experience
- Passing score on an admission portfolio. The portfolio will contain the following:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, to include the applicant’s principal or supervisor. Each local superintendent will establish requirements for recommendations from the principal and/or supervisor.
- Completed copy (all forms) of the most-recent performance appraisal, to include the professional development component, if available.
- Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
- Evidence of leadership and management potential, including evidence of most-recent accomplishments in the area of instructional leadership.
- Summary of the candidate’s reasons for pursuing instructional leadership certification.
- Summary of what the candidate expects from the preparation program.
- Passing score on an interview conducted by a program admission committee that includes both P-12 instructional leaders and higher-education faculty.
- Evidence of a clear criminal background check.
UM also offers an Instructional Leadership, Reduced Hour Option for Certification (18-21 hours). Those individuals who already hold a master’s degree, a valid Alabama Class A certification in a teaching field or instructional support area, and meet the admission criteria previously listed are eligible to pursue this option for Class A certification in instructional leadership.
- Maintain a minimum 3.25 program GPA on all coursework
- 156 minimum score on the Praxis II Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5421)
- SPED 407/507 or equivalent, if not previously completed
Class A Certification/M.Ed.
Curriculum Outline (30 credit hours required)
A. Instructional Leadership Core (15 credit hours)
B. Research (3 credit hours)
C. Technology (3 credit hours)
D. Foundations (6 credit hours)
E. Residency (3 credit hours)
Students who have not completed the special education requirements are required to take a general survey course (SPED 507 ), which will make the program 33 credit hours.