Jul 19, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Consumer Information

The University of Montevallo provides the following information and policies about the University to current and prospective students, their families, current and prospective employees, and the general public. A brief description is listed below. A paper copy will be provided upon request. For assistance in obtaining information or obtaining a paper copy please contact Jerome Dean, (205) 665-6399, jdean5@montevallo.edu, located in Ramsey Hall or Kimberly Miller, (205) 665-6085, millerkd@montevallo.edu, located in Palmer Hall.

The exact location of this information with more details can be found here: www.montevallo.edu/consumer-information. Contact the individuals above if you need assistance or view the version on the web page for the latest information.

1.   Student Aid Information and the rights and responsibilities of students receiving student aid

  • Federal, State, local, private, and institutional student financial assistance available to students
  • Need-based and non-need-based Federal Student Aid
  • Terms and conditions of student loans
  • Criteria for selecting recipients and for determining award amounts
  • Eligibility requirements and procedures and forms for applying for aid
  • Criteria for continued eligibility, standards to maintain eligibility, satisfactory academic progress, and criteria for re-establishing eligibility for financial assistance
  • The methods and frequency by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to the student
  • Enrollment for Pell Grant and other student aid amounts will be based on the student’s enrollment at the end of the add/drop period. These dates are found at www.montevallo.edu/consumer-information
  • Enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the University may be considered enrollment in the home school for purposes of applying for Federal Student Aid. Check with the UM Student Aid Office, 205-655-6050, or visit the office in Palmer Hall, for specific student aid options.
  • Student loan terms, repayment schedules, and repayment necessity
  • Conditions and terms of Federal Work Study student employees 
  • Student Loan Exit Counseling information the school provides and collects

2.   Institutional Information

  • Facilities and Services Available to Students with Disabilities
  • Cost of Attendance
  • Net Price Calculator
  • Tuition and Fees
  • Refund Policy
  • Requirements for Withdrawal
  • Return of Title IV Financial Aid
  • Maintaining Federal Aid
  • Educational Programs, Instructional Facilities, and Faculty
  • Transfer of Credits Policies and Articulation Agreements

3.   Copyright Infringement Policies and Sanctions

  • See the Student Code of Conduct for institutional policies related to unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, including disciplinary actions that are taken against students who engage in illegal downloading or unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials using the institution’s information technology system.
  • UM Use of Information Resources Policy www.montevallo.edu/Policy-01.010UseofInformationResources.pdf
  • Help avoiding plagiarism and copyright violations may be found at  https://www.montevallo.edu/campus-life/campus-safety/student-conduct/student-code-conduct/policies/a-academic-integrity/)
  • Summary of Civil and Criminal Penalties for Violation of Federal Copyright Laws - Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement. Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For “willful” infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys’ fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505. Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense. For more information, please see the website of the U.S. Copyright Office.

4.   Required disclosures to prospective and enrolled students to all schools where program is designed to be offered by another entity

  • Currently there are not any required disclosures to prospective and enrolled students at the University of Montevallo where a program is designed to be offered by another entity. The University of Montevallo does offer public and direct disclosures related to school and program accreditation, approval, and professional licensures and certificates, including those for programs offered through distance education. Additional information is provided here: https://www.montevallo.edu/admissions-aid/undergraduate-admissions/student-aid/consumer-information/.

5.   School and Program Accreditation, Approval, or Licensure

  • The University of Montevallo is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s, master’s and educational specialist degrees. The University of Montevallo may also offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of the University of Montevallo may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097, by calling 404-679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
  • In the event that a student complaint cannot be resolved internally, contact information is provided below for The Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE), which is the coordinating board for higher education for the State of Alabama. The Commission exercises no governing and limited regulatory authority over the University. Ala. Code16-5-1 et seq. (1975). The Commission may be contacted at:

Alabama Commission on Higher Education
P. O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL, 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998   Fax: 334-242-0268

Dr. Tammi Dahle
Executive Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
University of Montevallo
Station 6020
Montevallo, AL 35115

See Accreditation page for specific program accreditation.

6. Distance Education Public Disclosures

  • Through the University of Montevallo’s (UM) state authorization and Alabama’s participation in the National Council on State Authorization and Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), all distance education and correspondence courses at UM are authorized by the state of Alabama and all other U.S. states, as all U.S. states now participate in either a state authorization, the NC-SARA and/or provide a student complaint process.

  • At this time, there should be no adverse consequences of relocating to any state where UM’s main campus is not located while enrolled at UM since all states now meet state authorization requirements under 34 CFR 600.9.

  • Students have access to a complaint process. This student complaint process is available so that the concerns and complaints of students are addressed fairly and resolved promptly. Students must fully exhaust their rights under UM’s official complaint process. Contact information for the resolution of student complaints, including those related to distance education and correspondence coursework, for UM is as follows:

University of Montevallo
University of Montevallo Board of Trustees
Ala. Code 16-5-1 et seq. (1975)
Dr. Tammi Dahle
Executive Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
University of Montevallo
Station 6020 Montevallo, AL 35115

  • To file a student complaint online, access https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?UnivofMontevallo&layout_id=19.
  • Out-of-state students enrolled in distance education and/or correspondence courses through UM also have access to UM’s complaint process. If after fully exhausting UM’s complaint process, out-of-state students do not receive resolution, they can pursue the state of residence’s complaint process. Contact information for each State’s complaint process is located on the affiliated State’s Higher Education website and/or the NC-SARA website. For those states participating in the NC-SARA, information about the formal student complaint process can be found at http://ache.edu/ACHE_Reports/Forms/SARA/StudentComp.pdf. For a listing of the NC-SARA state participants, please visit the following link: https://www.nc-sara.org/directory.
  • At this time, UM has not received any adverse actions from any state entity or accrediting agency related to distance education programs or correspondence courses.
  • At this time, there are not any refund policies for the return of unearned tuition and fees with which UM is required to comply by any other state for out-of-state students participating in distance education programs or correspondence courses.
  • UM’s institutional refund policies are provided above as listed under “Refund Policy” and “Return of Title IV Financial Aid”. These are the policies that UM will follow when processing refunds and/or returns of Title IV financial aid.
  • At this time, UM is working to determine if all of its current distance education programs that lead to licensure or certifications meet the prerequisites for professional licensure or certifications, both in Alabama and all other U.S. states. It has been confirmed that the MBA program does not lead to professional licensure or certifications and, therefore, should not have any adverse outcome regardless of state of residency. With regard to all other distance education programs that lead to professional licensure or certifications, UM is working to develop a publicly accessible database to provide this information. If you are interested in learning about professional licensure or certification requirements specific to your distance education program and your specified state of residency, please contact Mary Howard at 205-665-6352.

7.  Professional Licensure and Certification Public Disclosures

In addition to the information listed above regarding distance education, UM is continuously working to determine if all of its current programs, regardless of instructional modality, that may lead to licensure or certification meet the prerequisites for professional licensure or certification application in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. UM has developed a series of tables to provide this information that will continuously be updated once information becomes available or changes. The tables can be viewed here: https://www.montevallo.edu/about-um/administration/academic-affairs/professional-licensure-and-certification/. If you are interested in learning about professional licensure or certification requirements specific to your program and your specified state of residency, please review the tables. If you are in need of additional information UM encourages you to contact Mary Howard at 1-205-665-6352 or visit https://nc-sara.org/professional-licensure-directory to review NC-SARA’s professional licensure directory. Prospective and enrolled students may also receive direct disclosures via email as necessary. It is UM’s goal to provide transparent information, especially regarding professional licensure and certification.

8.  Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations 

  • Student Aid eligibility might be suspended if a student is convicted of a drug offense while receiving Federal Student Aid (grants, work-study, or loans). When a student completes the FAFSA, they will be asked whether they had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while they were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, the student will be provided a worksheet to help them determine whether the conviction affects their eligibility for federal student aid.
  • If eligibility for federal student aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, it can be regained by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. Students who regain eligibility during the aid year should notify the Student Aid Office immediately in order to receive eligible aid.
  • If convicted of a drug-related offense after submitting the FAFSA, student may lose eligibility for federal student aid, and may be liable for returning any financial aid they received during a period of ineligibility. For more information see the Federal Student Aid website.  

9.   Vaccination Policy - Visit Student Health Services for more information.

10.   The College Navigator website provides consumer information about the University of Montevallo published by the U. S. Department of Education as well as a link to the University website. The following information can also be found on the University website:

  • Student activities offered by the school
  • Services offered by the school for individuals with disabilities 
  • Career and placement services offered to students during and after enrollment
  • Policies of the school related to transfer of credit from other schools
  • Transfer Equivalencies

11.   Student Body Diversity - See the College Navigator website above.

12. Net Price Calculator - See the Net Price Calculator on the University of Montevallo website

13. Textbook Information (Internet Course Schedule). Textbook cost and information can be found on the UM Bookstore webpage at https://montevallo.edu/campus-life/around-campus/bookstore/

14. Disbursement of Federal Student Aid funds to students for books and supplies. If a student’s aid is greater than their charges, there will be an estimated credit balance. Students with an estimated credit balance will be eligible to purchase books and supplies at the campus bookstore shortly before classes start each semester. The amount allowed will be capped at the amount of the estimated credit balance, not to exceed $1,000. Students opting to receive a credit balance to purchase books and supplies from another source should contact:

Office of Student Accounts

Station 6065
Montevallo, AL 35115
(205) 665-6065

15. Teacher Preparation Programs for Initial Certification or Licensure - Contact the College of Education and Human Development at (205) 665-6352.  

16. Voter Registration - you may register to vote in the courthouse of your home county or obtain a voter registration form and information at the Student Life Office in Farmer Hall, Top Floor, and Disability Support Services office in Main Hall, Rear, and Lower Level, or refer to the Alabama Secretary of State website.      

17. Constitution Day - The University of Montevallo holds an annual Constitution Day commemoration for students and anyone else on, or near mid-September.

18. Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program - The unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees on the school’s property or as a part of any of the school’s activities is strictly prohibited and the University will impose sanctions for violations. For more information regarding school, Federal, state, and local sanctions, descriptions of health risks, and available counseling, treatment, rehabilitation, or re-entry programs visit the Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Awareness and Prevention document.

In addition, for a copy of the University’s biennial review of its program contact Dr. Tammi S. Dahle, University of Montevallo, Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs/Dean of Students, Station 6020, Montevallo, AL 35115, (205) 665-6020, or email deanofstudents@montevallo.edu.

19. Completion/Graduation and Transfer-out Rates for Students Receiving Athletically Related Student Aid - See the University of Montevallo Compliance webpage for more information. 

20. Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act) - See the Equity in Athletics Data web page published by the U. S. Department of Education.

21. Completion/Graduation and Transfer-out Rates - This information is available on the College Navigator website.

22. Placement in Employment - The University does not calculate placement rates for graduates. However, the University operates a Career Development Center. More information can be found on its website.

23. Types of Graduate and Professional Education in which the University’s Graduates Enroll - The University’s undergraduate programs help qualify graduates for admission to many graduate and professional programs. For more information see the specific undergraduate program. Additional information is available by contacting the specific department chairs. Contact information is available on the Web or in this Bulletin.

24. Retention Rates of degree seeking first-time undergraduate students - This information is available on the College Navigator website.

25. Campus Security Report and the Fire Safety Report - For a combined copy of the Campus Security and Fire Safety Report visit https://ope.ed.gov/campussafety/#/. For a paper copy contact:

Chief Tim Alexander

UM Police Department

Station 6155, Montevallo, AL 35115

(205) 665-6155


26. FERPA or Family Educational Rights and Privacy - See the Registrar’s Office webpage for more information. 

27. Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members.

28. State Grant Assistance Availability - Students should apply for any state student aid. Alabama residents may be eligible for the Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP). For more information on state grants visit: www2.ed.gov/about/contacts/state/index.html.   

29. Federal Student Loan Information - The University may offer Federal loans as part of the school’s financial aid offer. A loan is money borrowed and must be paid back with interest. For more information on student loans visit the Student Aid Office in Palmer Hall or view studentaid.gov.

30. Sharing of student and/or parent loan information with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) - Personal and student loan information of students, and/or parent borrowers will be submitted to the NSLDS by the University and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the system. Students or parents may check their personal student loan information at the NSLDS website

31. Entrance Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers - First time borrowers of a Federal Direct Student Loan must complete Entrance Counseling to receive comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower’s responsibilities. This must be completed on the studentaid.gov website.

32. Exit Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers - The University provides student borrowers who graduate, leave, or drop below half-time enrollment instructions to receive invaluable student loan repayment information. Student borrowers must complete this counseling on the studentaid.gov website.

33. Private Education Loan Disclosures - Private Loans are not Federal Student or Parent PLUS Loans. Borrowers are encouraged to complete the FAFSA and apply for Federal Student Aid. Borrowers may qualify for Federal Student Loans (and possibly grants or work programs) that may be more favorable than the provisions of private education loans. The University participates in no private education lender preferred arrangements and recommends no private lenders.

34. Private Education Loan Self Certification Form - Students may request this form by visiting the Student Aid Office in Palmer Hall or by calling (205) 665-6050 or emailing finaid@montevallo.edu.

35. Private Education Loans and Preferred Lender Arrangements - The University has no preferred lender list and recommends no particular private lender.

36. Code of Conduct - The University of Montevallo Student Aid Code of Conduct may be found on the UM web page.